What's new

Clean

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have a Sig .40 that I love.. I did not like the feel of the Glock, but it all depends on who is using it

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
the Sig 229 is very similar to the 226 you shot, but the barrels and magazines are interchangeable between a 9mm, .357 sig round, and a .40 cal.

The 229, like all SIG pistols, utilizes an automatic firing pin safety. This means the SIG operates without need of traditional safety control levers. It is a double action/single action semi-automatic and the first shot when the hammer is down requires a double action trigger pull.

Something to think about, though Glocks are a weapon of choice for a lot of LE depts

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I've got more than a dozen pistols that I use for various needs and moods. If your gonna buy your first, keep going to the range and try as many as you can. There is no way to look at the angle of your stance, the size of your hands or the latest action movie to know what you will shoot well. Wife is a hell of a shot and of our lot, some she shoots best, I don't do well with and the flip flop is true as well. Most ranges that rent guns if you tell them your shopping, will let you trade out your rental a few times for no extra fee.

What do you want the handgun for? defense, range, concealed carry?

And if you ever make it to Ft. Lauderdale, I'll take you to my range.. they rent full auto!

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've got more than a dozen pistols that I use for various needs and moods.
That's an interesting statement there Mitch. I'm thinking, "Hmm, im' in the mood to cap this guy with a .38, but i need to at least knock him down, so i better use the .40, but on second thought, maybe i'm in the mood to knock him down so he won't get back up...looks ike i'm gonna need the .45."

Choosing a gun to use based on needs and moods...interesting, very interesting indeed.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That's an interesting statement there Mitch. I'm thinking, "Hmm, im' in the mood to cap this guy with a .38, but i need to at least knock him down, so i better use the .40, but on second thought, maybe i'm in the mood to knock him down so he won't get back up...looks ike i'm gonna need the .45."

Choosing a gun to use based on needs and moods...interesting, very interesting indeed.
Needs is an easy one to explain if you're a concealed carrier. Weather, ambient temps, etc. call for lighter or heavier clothing, depending. In winter around here it's easy to conceal a larger, heavier weapon while summer may call for something smaller and easier to conceal under light garments. Dampness too. I wouldn't carry one of my blued handguns if I might get caught out in the rain so I'd opt for stainless or maybe a Glock.
Moods? Why not? Many people dress according to their moods so why not choose your gun that way too? I jokingly refer to my ParaOrd 7.45 as my dress gun. Partly because it's slimmer than some of my others but also because it's a damn fine looking weapon in contrast to a nice dress shirt. Downright professional looking! :)

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I definitely second the try before you buy idea. Go to the range a few times and rent as many as you can afford to try them before you buy. Also, examine them a bit to see how well cared for they are by the range. If a gun looks like hell and rather old but still fires well and true then you might have something there. I ended up buying an XD 9 (I know, I know, but it's just for the range and the ammo is cheaper) because it felt best in my hands when I fired it.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I second the "try before you buy" suggestion. I know that at my range, $5 will let you try a handgun and then you can keep going back to the counter and swapping it out for something different all day if you like, at no extra charge.

I bought a Kahr K40 (from a brother on the board here) having never shot a Kahr before and it just didn't suit me...it was double action only and the trigger just wasn't right for my fingers. So, I traded it and bought my S&W M&P9 and I absolutely love it! Fits my hand just right and points well, shoots great. In fact, I'm getting its slide back from the smith today, where he installed some night sights on it.

So, try all that you can before making the investment. Don't discount revolvers either, they are fun to shoot and a S&W 642 is about perfect for pocket carry.

Pick up a .22 for extended range time as well one of these days. I tote my little Walther P22 to the range when I go and I can practice for a long time without making too big of a dent in my wallet...try that with .45 or .40 S&W!

Let us know how it goes!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Don't discount revolvers either, they are fun to shoot and a S&W 642 is about perfect for pocket carry.
A double action revolver is always my first recomendation for home protection for someone who dosn't have extensive range experience. Yes, I know everyone intends to learn to use it, but most loose the bug after just a few range visits.

Simple, intuitive, no external safety to fumble with, almost imposible to jam up, don't have to worry about if a round was chambered or not, magzine not full seated, etc. Plus, load it, stick it in a lock box and it's ready to use now or twenty years from now. Revolvers don't have any springs overly stressed when stored. Many auto's if left stored for very long term (years) will need to have some of the springs replaced, especialy the magazine spring, that you need for the second shot AND avoid several types of jams.

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
JMHO, but you really SHOULD try a 1911 type pistol at least once, before you make a purchase. Wish I would have, might have saved me the expense of finding out after buying a couple of others beforehand.... YMMV though.

For what it's worth, I love my Kimber Stainless II.

I also, love just about anything that goes bang when it should. Like stated earlier, it all depends on my mood at the time..... they're like potato chips, you can't eat just one....

buck

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sig P229 here with stock .40 barrel and ported .357 third-party barrel. I needed to smooth out the ramp on the 3rd party barrel, but it's flawless now. Definitely heavier than the Glock for carrying but less recoil movement. I would say go Sig if you can.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
JMHO, but you really SHOULD try a 1911 type pistol at least once, before you make a purchase. Wish I would have, might have saved me the expense of finding out after buying a couple of others beforehand.... YMMV though.

For what it's worth, I love my Kimber Stainless II.

I also, love just about anything that goes bang when it should. Like stated earlier, it all depends on my mood at the time..... they're like potato chips, you can't eat just one....

buck
I love the 1911's as well, own a few, have owned dozens and back when I customized guns for $ it was a huge chunk of my biz. A customized Para Limited is one of my favorite competition guns, and back when I did "Protection" work I built myself a stainless ported Officers upper on a Comander lower, that I still have and love.

However, I don't think they are good first gun or only gun choice. They are singe action, which leaves your carry and storage options as round chambered with hammer back (bad for long term storage) and safety on or chamber empty and give up one round of capacity and have to rack the slide on the draw.

They tend to be both large and heavy, although there are some smaller versions (nothing I'd pick for conceal in warm weather) and alloy versions, many are not as reliable as the full size and a limp wrist on one of those will cause jams.

They are expensive to buy ammo for, recoil is heavy, especialy in smaller and alloy guns, which is not ideal for learning to shoot. The beaver tail safety tends to both "print" when carried, and rub into your body while sitting with many carry options.

Love these guns, don't get me wrong, but in my oppinion it's a choice for an experienced shooter and not for a person just starting out.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Wow, such a wealth of information on handguns you brothers are. I know where to turn when the wife finally lets me "pull the trigger" on an anti-home invasion device.

She's gettin close.

Klusterbuck

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Wow, such a wealth of information on handguns you brothers are. I know where to turn when the wife finally lets me "pull the trigger" on an anti-home invasion device.

She's gettin close.

bball...... this is another of my opinions........

if it's for the house only, and you can get more than only one gun..... shudder....., I like a shotgun for home defense. I mean, it's not the only gun to use for it, and handguns have their place, but I'm just sayin', it's my go to house gun.......

Handguns are fun, functional, and have their place as well, and if she lets you "pull the trigger", go for it......

buck

Klusterbuck

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This purchase wouldn't be made until a year from now, when I might move out of DC. So I am still planning on trying a bunch of different models, calibers and styles including 1911and revolvers. Eventually I will whittle the list down to a certain caliber and style. I will let you guys know what I shoot next time I get to the range.

Seriously, trying them all out is the best part. Enjoy.

Klusterbuck

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I love the 1911's as well, own a few, have owned dozens and back when I customized guns for $ it was a huge chunk of my biz. A customized Para Limited is one of my favorite competition guns, and back when I did "Protection" work I built myself a stainless ported Officers upper on a Comander lower, that I still have and love.

However, I don't think they are good first gun or only gun choice. They are singe action, which leaves your carry and storage options as round chambered with hammer back (bad for long term storage) and safety on or chamber empty and give up one round of capacity and have to rack the slide on the draw.

They tend to be both large and heavy, although there are some smaller versions (nothing I'd pick for conceal in warm weather) and alloy versions, many are not as reliable as the full size and a limp wrist on one of those will cause jams.

They are expensive to buy ammo for, recoil is heavy, especialy in smaller and alloy guns, which is not ideal for learning to shoot. The beaver tail safety tends to both "print" when carried, and rub into your body while sitting with many carry options.

Love these guns, don't get me wrong, but in my oppinion it's a choice for an experienced shooter and not for a person just starting out.
All good points Mitch. I agree, 1911's are maybe not the best choice for a first handgun. But, I've never shot more acurately in my life with any other pistol. Of course, this was my first "Premium" type handgun purchase.....

It fits my hand, it points well, and shoots where it points. Any format that gives me these three things, is almost heaven on earth.

buck