What's new

Cleaning The Palate

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that cigars tastes different depending on the day I smoke them.

I was curious if anyone has a technique for cleaning the palate. Maybe a drink or a certain food?

Sine-Qua-Non

Sine-Something-Or-Other
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are sooooo many different factors that contribute to how you experience a cigar on any given day, and it's good that you recognize that. What you've eaten and drank recently can have an immediate and sometimes long-lasting impact, especially for spicy foods and sour drinks. And by spice, I don't just mean pepper or hot sauce, I mean the wide range of spices to even include garlic and the like. Essentially any food or drink that you find lingers on the tongue long after you've consumed it is bound to have a significant impact on how you experience a cigar.

Also sometimes not recognized is the impact that mood and state of mind can have on how you enjoy a cigar. I've found that if my mood is off a bit, or I've been under more stress than usual, even one of my favorite sticks just doesn't quite give the same experience as it otherwise would.

As far as cleansing the palate, I tend to just go with ample time, and water to drink. If I want to get the purest experience, I won't have anything to eat or drink besides water for a good while before burning a stick, but that's rare.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Generally a bit of sparkling water or water with a bit of lemon will get my palate primed for a cigar. Using an SLS ( sodium lauryl sulfate.) free toothpaste may help improve your palate over the long term.

I also find that a couple of good pours of bourbon before and during a smoke will improve my palate (and mood) for maximum enjoyment of a cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second everything Nate said. I'll also say chocolate for a palette reset, and ginger ale to cleanse it. Either one or both can help, but if your mood is off it won't matter. I smoke certain cigars depending on my mood as I've noticed over time what works for me at what times.
Maybe take notes when you smoke. You really liked it? Why? What did you eat how long before it? What were you drinking? What was your mood? Figure those things out and you'll notice over time too.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Sine-Qua-Non

Sine-Something-Or-Other
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second everything Nate said. I'll also say chocolate for a palette reset, and ginger ale to cleanse it. Either one or both can help, but if your mood is off it won't matter. I smoke certain cigars depending on my mood as I've noticed over time what works for me at what times.
Maybe take notes when you smoke. You really liked it? Why? What did you eat how long before it? What were you drinking? What was your mood? Figure those things out and you'll notice over time too.

I’ve never tried chocolate for that purpose before, but something about it just seems to make sense. Definitely going to give that a try soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Different things work for different people. I can imagine a bit of chocolate as a taste experience while smoking a cigar but as a palate cleanser I would think the fat in the chocolate coats your palate and alters the cigar's taste.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Palate cleansers really come into play when trying out new or different cigars....we want to give them a fair appraisal to get their true character and taste so that in the future we can associate that to the next opportunity when it's smoked...... palate cleansers are sorbet, bread, apple slices, banana, biko and pickles...not sure about "biko" but I'd rather stick to what works for me and that's water with lemon which dissolves food particles that tend to stick to the tissues and neutralizes it.....it's the bacteria that lays on the tongue and in the mouth that spoils the tastes. Conversely, Ive found over the years that specific libations will enhance the taste of cigars that will draw the tastes of cigars and hold the body longer to make the taste better....Amarula is such one libation....it draws the smoke into the tissues like a magnet and holds it and calms any harsh tastes that some full bodied cigars tend to throw at it....a good liqueur like Drambuie....some good whisky as mentioned. At the end of the day it's all about our own tastes and what we like.....vive la difference.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve never tried chocolate for that purpose before, but something about it just seems to make sense. Definitely going to give that a try soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some, a semi-sweet dark chocolate works better than milk chocolate.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Whenever I start to get a burned out palate I reach for water and a banana. That seems to do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Generally a bit of sparkling water or water with a bit of lemon will get my palate primed for a cigar. Using an SLS ( sodium lauryl sulfate.) free toothpaste may help improve your palate over the long term.

I also find that a couple of good pours of bourbon before and during a smoke will improve my palate (and mood) for maximum enjoyment of a cigar.
The bourbon may also just make it such that you won't have too much care as well :)

Mr. Nice

Pretty nice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love smoking cigars, but for me honestly sometimes taking a break is well worth it....2 days is usually the sweet spot for me. For a true palate cleanse I have gone a tiny bit of ginger, then wait about a half hour and go ice cold water with my smoke. Ever since I started learning more about palate cleansing while eating sushi, the ginger has made a lot of sense to me.

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
There's a Brazilian steakhouse near me that serves fried plantains as a palate cleanser.
They're simple to make, and recipes are easily found on Google.