What's new

Coffee Grinder

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
So I need to get a new grinder. The whirl grinder is cutting it anymore. I had someone reccomend the Capresso Infinity or the Solis Maestro. I'd like to keep the price around $100 but preferablly less.

What do you guys reccomend?:dunno:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I upgraded from a whirly blade to a Capresso Infinity. Most folks were recommending the Solis Maestro and I don't remember exactly why I went with the Infinity but I've been happy with it so far. It's worked great for drip, press and Moka pot.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
What's a moka pot? I will be using it for everyday drip and then for the french press where I will drink my good beans.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
A moka pot makes what some people call "stove top espresso" although I don't think it could really be called espresso by today's standards. I have heard that this is a standard piece of equipment in Italian homes though. It does IMO make a good cup of fairly strong coffee that is much different from drip. I also use it to make espresso type drinks like latte's. It's a stainless steel or aluminun contraption that has three parts. The water goes into the bottom chamber, then the ground coffee goes in a basket on top of that. Finally the pot itself is screwed on top. As the water heats it is forced up through the coffee by the pressure of the water heating up. It goes from the coffee grounds to the top pot through a tube and then dribbles down into the pot itself. It's good stuff. Take a look at them here. http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.brewers.mokapot.shtml Also, here is the link where I got my Infinity. http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_mod/capresso/560565.htm

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I got the polished chrome model. The zinc diecast body makes it a heavy sumbugger. It weighs in at 6.1 lbs. as opposed to 3.3 lbs. for the black plastic model. I don't know if there's any truth to it but I've heard the metal housing creates less static than the plastic. I know static hasn't been a problem with mine. There is a small amount of static but I don't have grounds flying out of the machine.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Tom, I have the Infinity and it works great for drip, vac and press. The other grinder that is suggested for this use is the Bodum Antiqua. Although, I've never used one.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Solis Burr grinder...Finest kind... Mele perpetual coffee maker... off the charts