What's new

Cohiba BHK 56

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Today i smoked the Cohiba BHK 56. For those of you that don't know the BHK is a new line of cigars for Cohiba. Originally they released a cigar called the Behike in 2006 which was a very special cigar released to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Cohiba brand. They were released in 40 count special humidors made by Elie Bleu and sold for around $17,000-$20,000 (if you can find one prices are much much higher now! )
Anyways, this current Behike was released this year and introduced at the XII Habanos Festival. The cigar consists of leaves called Medio Tiempo, which are taken from the upper portion of the plant. These leaves are supposed to give the cigar a very bold, strong, unique flavor. Lets see how it does...

Pre light

The cigar is a real pleasure to look at. It has a nice light brown colorado/claro wrapper and a beautiful pigtail cap. The cigar is actually kind of lightly packed and is a bit soft but otherwise perfect. The band is a real eye catcher. Perhaps the nicest i have ever seen. It's has a gold hologram lady Cohiba symbol that just screams expensive. It's a very over the top band but done very nicely without being too ridiculous. The pre light aroma is your typical Cuban barnyard with a slight sweetness. The pre light draw taste of sweet tobacco with a bit of the barnyard as well. The draw is perfect.

1/3

This cigar fires right up like kindling. It took no effort whatsoever. Right away I get massive amounts of cedar, floral notes and a nice amount of spice on the finish. The cigar is producing massive amounts of smoke and is just very easy to smoke. Excellent so far...

2/3

The cedar is still in the front but now the spice has died down and i am getting a nice creaminess on the finish. The floral notes are still showing themselves every puff or two and a nice earthiness has started up as well. The ash is a bit flaky and isn't hold so well. I am attributing that to the light pack of the cigar i noticed earlier. Although it's not heating up on me which is a relief.

3/3

In the final 3rd i got excellent flavors. Cedar, earth, spice, creaminess and now a bit of chocolate making this a total smorgasbord of flavors. Very Complex, very balanced and a finish that just goes on forever. Towards the end the cigar got a bit mushy on me although i was able to nub it.

Final thoughts:

I thought this was a fantastic cigar. Not quite as strong as I thought it would be but I still got a very unique flavor profile out it. It’s definitely got that Cohiba taste but it’s got a different earthiness to it that is very pleasant. I think 5 years from now these are going to be a very sought after cigar. Similar to the way the 03 siglo vi’s are sought after now. If you can afford these, go get them! You will be pleased.

Final score:93

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Most excellant review and pic's my friend, thanks for sharing your experience! :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Thanks for the review Lilo. I always look forward to your reviews and I must say the pictures you post are top notch!

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
nice review on a great cigar!

I have a bhk-52 coming.....this will be a true test of will power....how long it will last in my humi...

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Great review LiLo! I wish my palate was that refined!

With every month that passes, I pat myself on the back for letting my Sig VI's rest undisturbed! Don't know how long that will last; October will mark a year since they went into the humi.

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I lit up my second BHK 54 last night and made some noticeable comparisons to your review on the 56.

Similarities:
Great looking vitola
The band is absolutely stunning
Light packing/bunching given the ring guage. I expected a little more heft.
Some similar flavors detected - spice and creaminess
Not strong at all

Differences:
I was disappointed overall with the cigar. While I acknowledge this was the 54, the blend is still rather similar I would think. Total lack of ligero from what I could discern making this a rather light and perfumey smoke.
The initial draw and subsequent burn on the back of the throat told me the cigar was still ripe in its youth.
I can't even begin to conjecture how age might benefit this cigar in the long run. I almost feel there aren't any legs on this cigar to age for any length of time.
I'd score it a 80 at best.

Regardless of where they primed the leaf on the tobacco plant, this cigar was not very strong at all. Light to medium bodied at best. I still have a few more to sample to be sure but I'm not holding out hope. Then again, what do I know...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lit up my second BHK 54 last night and made some noticeable comparisons to your review on the 56.

Similarities:
Great looking vitola
The band is absolutely stunning
Light packing/bunching given the ring guage. I expected a little more heft.
Some similar flavors detected - spice and creaminess
Not strong at all

Differences:
I was disappointed overall with the cigar. While I acknowledge this was the 54, the blend is still rather similar I would think. Total lack of ligero from what I could discern making this a rather light and perfumey smoke.
The initial draw and subsequent burn on the back of the throat told me the cigar was still ripe in its youth.
I can't even begin to conjecture how age might benefit this cigar in the long run. I almost feel there aren't any legs on this cigar to age for any length of time.
I'd score it a 80 at best.

Regardless of where they primed the leaf on the tobacco plant, this cigar was not very strong at all. Light to medium bodied at best. I still have a few more to sample to be sure but I'm not holding out hope. Then again, what do I know...
Thanks for the straight and honest review. I really want to try these in the very near future. If you don't like them, I can dispose of them properly for you :) hahaha

Seriously though, it is very interesting to see the different tasting notes from the people that have smoked some, especially since they are so pricey!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Thanks for straight forward review Shane :thumbsup:

I hardly ever buy a new cigar until I read some reviews on them
Posted via Mobile Device