3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
@ChefBoyRG54

image.jpg
image.jpg

Cohiba Genios Maduro 5

Solid roll, the wrapper is a mottled Autumn brown.

The smoke is silky like caramel with buttery notes through the middle and finishing dry and crisp. The draw is a bit on the tight side but nothing that ruins the experience. The earth and spice mix together at about a 6.5/10, there is a sweetness climbing in and rounding out the profile. The dryness the smoke creates in the back of the throat is a bit intense and itches.. The Maduro wrapper is very light and refined, it's not overbearingly sweet or obnoxiously "dark" it is gentle and works to create a balanced profile.

At half way, the smoke is still dry as a mouth full of roasted nuts, the profile remains consistent and has a burn that teeters but never goes one way or the other. Strength was low medium to start but is growing as the stick works through the middle. Some creamy cedar pops in and the profile is building in richness and depth. The earth and spice ebb and flow as some peanut is faintly detected and mixes with the creamy middle. There are some single notes that pop in and I don't quite make them out.

The profile is becoming very complex as I get into the final third, flavors come and go before I can describe them but I can say they taste good and add a nice change of pace to the experience at a time when some cigars start to become boring. The sweetness gains ground and I had to touch up the wrapper as it was starting to tunnel a bit. Nothing dramatic. This is probably the driest smoke I've ever had, it's dry and crisp, itching the throat and coating the entire back of the throat in a warm blanket.. The dry itchy feeling lingers for awhile. I'm pairing the smoke with a medium roast/dark roast blend. The peppery retro fades in and out doing a tag team with the sweet notes.

The strength has crept up to a high medium.. Getting my attention every now and again. One of the notes popping in and out I can now describe as a light floral presence. The smoke and nub are staying nice and cool so I can enjoy all it has to offer. The nub finishes deliciously. I love the way Cohiba does this Maddy.. It's unique and welcomed in my limited CC world. The strength built the whole length and finishes warm and calming. The price point on this smoke is top tier and could never be a regular (for me) but is easily a smoke to try at least once and would be a solid choice for a "special ocassion" smoke. Or to Bomb a brother with "stinkin' rasshat" (thank you)

Smoke time: 1hr 30mins

Score: 93

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
glad you enjoyed Dave

these were one of my first CC experiences in China a couple years ago. I had bought a boli rc, sigl 4, psd4, and another i forget to smoke in Hong Kong. Then when i got to China i was gifted 5 of the Genios. Guess you can say i was thwarted into the dark side:) Thought they were incredible from day one. Worth the $16 IMO

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm a big NC maduro fan but have yet to try any of the cohiba maduro's. The cohibas are the only CCs I've noticed that are maduros..... are there any others out there?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
glad you enjoyed Dave

these were one of my first CC experiences in China a couple years ago. I had bought a boli rc, sigl 4, psd4, and another i forget to smoke in Hong Kong. Then when i got to China i was gifted 5 of the Genios. Guess you can say i was thwarted into the dark side:) Thought they were incredible from day one. Worth the $16 IMO
I think this Is a unique take on a maduro (from an NC standpoint) Ive had the Secretos awhile back and the smaller stick was a flavor BOMB. They're definetly worth a purchase. Thank you very much Ryan, I'm glad you asked me to review it because I haven't put any thoughts on paper for awhile.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big NC maduro fan but have yet to try any of the cohiba maduro's. The cohibas are the only CCs I've noticed that are maduros..... are there any others out there?
The limited editions usually have darker wrappers.

That said, HSA doesn't really play the maduro game on the same level as everyone else. I'm guessing because they don't have access to sufficient amounts of maduro leaves.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive had the Secretos awhile back and the smaller stick was a flavor BOMB.
Agree... the Secretos is my favorite vitola in the line..

a bit pricy for a little stick (I think I dropped $12 each on a handful of them)... but.. very good..