What's new

Cohiba Robusto Review

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Cohiba Robusto Review

The weather is grim and from my perch in the garage I can feel the warm muggy air roll through the open door. The sky has opened up, blanketing the ground with light rain, claps of thunder can be heard in the distance, an ominous sign of things to come. Luckily, there are no heavy winds, the only plight that could ruin a write-up from the mancave. Why do a review in the face of such poor weather? Well, I leave for a Bishop California tomorrow, and I'll be quite busy with the reviews from the poll I put up, so I wanted to make sure I left on a good note.

I recently received several Cohiba Robustos in a trade with bdc30 (Brent). Now before I start the review, I want to explain that I have a history with Cohiba that I'm not proud of.

The last time I smoked one of these legendary cigars was when I was gifted an Esplendido by a close family friend for high school graduation. Needless to say, I went out drinking and partying that night, toting my cigar around, acting like I was God's gift to man... Well, the rapper came off, it went out several times, and thinking back, it would be generous if I said I smoked two-thirds of it. Four years later and knowing now what I wish I knew then, I'm determined to make amends. How, you may ask? There is no better way to pay homage to one of these beautiful cigars than with a proper review; besides, what better way is there to kick off the month of May? :p

As I sit here in less than desirable weather fingering this CC, I can't help but think how small this Robusto is. At 4.8 x 50, it's average size, but when I think of a Cohiba, images of that Esplendido come rushing back to me. Easing back to reality, I examine the cigar more closely; construction appears to be okay. The seams are tight, and this particular stick seems to have just the right amount of give to it, firm but with that slight spongey feel. The wrapper is an inviting golden brown color with a matt oil sheen. There are some veins running the length of the wrapper but nothing major, with only one minor imperfection on the back side, about an inch up from the foot.

Pre light: The top of the tripple cap came off cleanly with a swift slice from the blades of my Palio. The draw is excellent for a CC, bringing notes mainly of cedar, some spice, and hints of sweet tobacco to the palate. Fragrances from the wrapper and foot present barnyard nuances and cedar to the senses.

Lighting: Lighting this CoRo was a more pleasurable than average experience, as during the toast, the foot emitted the most wonderful aroma of Sweet tobacco and cedar, which would be shared on the draw with the addition of spice.

First third: To my surprise, mid-way through the first third, the flavors have already picked up. Sweet tobacco has arisen as the dominant point in the flavor profile, backed by undertones of cedar and hints of spice, while a leathery presence lingers on my palate after I expel the draw, adding contrast and balance. The retro-hale shares many of the aforementioned fragrances with the draw, with a heavy spice, some sweet tobacco and leather, though the ambient burn releases sweet, almost heavenly notes of cedar. The burn is excellent, and the ash holds nearly an inch and a half before dropping.

Second Third: As I begin to enter the second third, the storm outside has subsided for a moment to give me my last glimpse of the darkening evening sky, a fitting stand in time that mimics the flavor change this robusto ushers in under the failing light. The sweet tobacco has made its move from the pinnacle of the flavor profile to an undertone, opening the stage to heavy notes of cedar, spice and leather, with strong notes of toasted dry walnut on the finish. The retro-hale is exhibiting heavy notes of cedar, leather and spice, while the ambient burn continues to deliver wonderful swathes of sweet cedar. The burn remains relatively decent, though I have had some minor burn issues. For the most part, the ash is holding well for a good inch to an inch and a half before dropping.

Final third: With the finish in sight, the clouds once again cover the sky, pounding the ground with belts of rain and flashes of light crack abundantly across the sky, setting an eerie dark tone for the final act. Cedar has made an eventful return on the finish as the outstanding note, followed sharply by spice, leaving a leathery linger on the palate. Cedar now also dominates the retro-hale, with notes of leather and sweet undertone as I expel the final whisps of smoke as this Cohiba gives me its last breath. Sweet cedar continues to fill the air as I examine the burn, a crisp clean finish, the cigar grasping but two-thirds an inch of ash as it cigar dies.

Final thoughts: In retrospect, what stands out to me is how elaborately complex this cigar really is. Generally you aren't left with a lot to play with when it comes to a cigar of this size, but each third maximized its potential - a beautiful foray of flavors that exploded at one end, were blended and came out completely different at the other. All I've to say is this definitely lived up the reputation that Cohiba bestows and I very much look forward to smoking more of what they have to offer.

Total Smoking time was roughly an hour and a half.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
As its been brought to my attention I didn't get any "grass" flavors or espresso during this smoke. I think this may have been an off cigar, or just young, or maybe I'm loosing my edge lol. I'll have to wait to hear back from Brent.

RobustoMoe

No1 CC blanket bomber
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great review bro. A Cohiba Robustro was the cigar that converted me from a 1 stick, maybe 2 guy into a full blown hobbiest. :smile: Still like to keep them on regular rotation in my collection.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
thanks for the review! In my experience this is a great cigar but with only at least a 3 years of age on it. Every ime i have smoked on right out of the box they have been bland and dirty tasting. I think that these cigars are a perfect example of what age can do to a cigar.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Another awesome review. With these CoRo's, the box just came back from Cuba in March (I think it was Aug '09 box if I recall) so age could definitely be a factor in some of the flavours.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Thanks for the great review! This is one that I have been meaning to track down & try.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
As an American, I can only hope to one day get to smoke a few of these.

Also, wash your hands man! Good lawd! :wink:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Shawn, each review surpasses the one before it my friend....Great work! :thumbsup:

Your pic's get better each time also! :clap:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Outstanding review! It is guys like you that make this the best cigar site on the web!
Shawn, each review surpasses the one before it my friend....Great work! :thumbsup:

Your pic's get better each time also! :clap:
It's hard not to continue contributing to BOTL when I recieve compliments such as these and I see how much readers appreciate the effort I put into these reviews, thanks everyone!