What's new

Cohiba Siglo I blend Diadema

havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
This was the first Diadema that I have ever had the oppurtunity to smoke. It was fresh off the island, and looked absolutely impecable. This custom rolled Diadema was rolled at the La Casa del Habano in "Club Habana" a private club in the Havana suburb of Miramar that Enrique Mons runs, and of which many have so wonderfully elaborated about. Those high up in Habanos SA often say that those who roll cigars in the shops get "scraps" and "left-overs" to roll cigars, and that what they roll is "inconsistant" as "they don't know precisely what they are rolling with." For myself, I would have to say that this cigar would call those claims into question.
Anyway, I let this cigar rest in my humidor for about a week before smoking it. I found that lighting it was a bit more difficult than I bargained for, and it took many puffs until I began tasting it. Nevertheless, the draw was as easy as a cigar should be. It started out like most long cigars do, with mild flavors, here of herbs, nuts, and tobacco. Ever so slowly, its flavor began to open up, with the hints of that grassy flavor that one comes to expect from a Cohiba. It's flavor blossomed into distinct notes of pepper and the unmistakeable cuban wasabi-like spice. As the cigar progressed the Cohiba flavor became far more promminent, and by the time it was down to the length of a robusto, it absolutely had a dream-like flavor equivilent to the venerable Cohiba Siglo I. This was a cigar. It continued to increase in flavor all the way down to it's 3/4ths of an inch (when my fingers, not the smoke) became too hot to continue it. Its ash held on for two inch incriments, and even then had some trouble comming off. Its construction was absolutely impeccable. It was absolutely amazing to smoke. The only complaint I could have with it was that I surmise that it was just a little wet, as I had some trouble getting it started. It was well worth what I paid for it. It was a wonderful three-hour smoke that I am going to remember for some time to come!
Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 9/10
Flavor: 19/20
Finish: 9/10
Smoking experience: 18/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 19/20

Total: 93/100

All in all I'd give it a 93 out of 100! If it wasn't for the fact that it was a bit difficult to get started, I would be hard pressed not to give it a 97! I have always wondered what a Siglo I would taste like in a longer cigar, and I am quite pleased with its result! Its truely a pity that they don't make them like this for everybody. Now if it wasn't for the department of homeland security.... I always have dreamed of going down to Cuba and picking up...oh...200 Salomones and 300 Diademas