What's new

Cold temperature vacation ideas

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So not to go into a long story but I thought I would ask and see for any ideas for this. I have no idea when I would be going but I would guess anytime after November. I don't care to ski, snowboard, anything of the like. I'm all about the views, love to see ruins, do a little hiking if I need to for a nice view of something that makes me feel like a tiny speck on the planet. Or just sit back and have some whiskey/beer and enjoy a cigar. I won't be alone in going but that shouldn't affect much. Anyways, feel free to name a place. I don't mind snow and ice and such. I have a passport and would actually like to go out of state for a change. I just want some extra ideas of places to visit is all.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Subscribed as I am hoping to do something in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
It's pretty far from where you're at, but Durango, Colorado is one of my favorite winter vacation places. Tons of hiking, and a really neat little town.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
It's pretty far from where you're at, but Durango, Colorado is one of my favorite winter vacation places. Tons of hiking, and a really neat little town.
Very true but winter even nov isn't the best time for hiking. I'm kind of lost on the original post do you want to stay state side? You mentioned a passport. Are you willing to snowshoe? Or would you like a place that may have just a bit of snow to no snow? What kind of ruins? Most cold places in North America won't have any but some are close to a few. Need lodging or are you tenting? I have lots of places I can suggest just need more info.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Me and the wife have been thinking an Alaskan vacation. Don't have any plans. But this year we are saving and planning.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
A semi-retired friend of mine goes to Arizona for a week or 2 every winter, absolutely loves it there. Lots of hiking/biking/4-wheeling and pretty cool scenery where he stays - it's a bit north of Phoenix, I believe.

If it's passport and ruins you want to check off the list, maybe London? I spent a week there in late December once - lots of old stuff to see in the city, and close to Stonehenge. Not sure about "hiking" but there's definitely plenty of walking to be done, lol... And FWIW, the winter temps weren't as brutal as they are here in the central US - something about the ocean winds that blow over the island.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Alaska. its amazing...it was surprisingly one of the best trips i have ever taken. i was on a cruise which went through a lot of the fjords, and we had awesome time... had a chance to take a small chopper onto a glacier and drank water from ice that was thousands of years old, ride sled dogs around, and zip line through the alaskan wilderness.
however, most cruises through alaska end in Aug (we went a few years ago in late july/early aug) because the fjords start to freeze up and the boats cant get into those areas for you to see the glaciers. it sounds strange, but in the daytime the temps were in the mid-60s. once the sun went down, it became bitterly cold. if you can wait until july or aug of next year, alaska is highly recommended. if interested, i can dig up pics.
if you are just looking for something specifically for nov/dec/jan, it gets a bit tougher, as many of those cold weather ruins-type areas are tougher (if not impossible) to access during the winters. if you just want to kick back and smoke a few, maybe head to colorado and stay at one of the ski lodges? you dont have to ski, but there are lots of bars that you can hit up and just enjoy the winter scenery.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you don't mind cold, I've heard Oymyakon is nice... :)

My parents went to Switzerland a couple years back. Their photos from up in the Alps were stunning! Will definitely give you that "tiny speck" perspective you're looking for.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Just because its a winter vacation doesn't mean you have to be cold....

Head south... way south...

Tickets to several Central American destinations are just as affordable to domestic flights in the US.. and once you are there, as long as you don't have to eat in a fancy 4 star restaurant every meal or need to be pampered every moment of the day.. most "tourist" activities are going to be considerably cheaper than what you would pay if you were to hit a common vacation spot in the US (meals will be cheaper, rental cars will be cheaper, excursions will be cheaper, etc..etc..)..

Hit Belize or Costa Rica.. don't go to the typical tourist places that tout all inclusive resorts and posh beaches..

Hit the interior of the country.. and do an eco tour or something to that effect.. jungle hikes, mountain biking, mayan ruins, chill out with the monkeys while having a beer in the evening, etc..etc..

The rainy season in Central America ends in November in most places.. a December or January trip would be nice and dry, with lots of sunshine, and temps in the 70's and 80's.. PERFECT vacation/cigar smoking weather..

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm probably going to end up in Europe or northern Canada from the sounds of things. I want to hit up Alaska one year but it'll be myself and not this time around. Colorado may work which might also kill two birds since I do have some friends in the area I'd love to visit. By ruins I just meant like old castles/towers/forts etc. I've been to Italy and Greece several times and love the history of the place but wouldn't mind something more medieval or american history like for a change.

On the end of where would I be staying, it would have to be a hotel or similar lodging. I might be able to work in a lodge or cabin kind of idea but not sure. Sounds like it would be with my mother and my best friend and all three of us have wildly different wants. Back to the places, Iceland and Switzerland were two spots that first came to mind. Norway maybe or go completely opposite and see some friends in Belgium or Denmark. I'm not a beach person at all and neither is my best friend. Mom's going with my sister to Hawaii soon so hopefully she'll be beached out after that.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
like me, it looks like you are close to your mom and have a good relationship...
maybe find out what she wants to do - putting small limitations, such as no beaches - and plan around that?
personally, whatever makes my parents happy, i am happy to do for them. i am very fortunate to still have my parents around, and i know it wont last forever. whatever i can do to make them happy while i still have them around, im happy to oblige. a very big part to traveling is not where you go, but the company you are with.

happy planning, and safe travels!

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
British Columbia and Pacific Northwest will make you feel small although not many ruins to see and it could be cold/wet. I agree with mdwest on Central America lots to see including ruins. If you stay stateside I'd check out the southwest ie. four corners region you'll feel small, see ruins, petroglyphs and just maybe see snow I've always thought people travel to Europe too much before seeing our country. Fiords in Norway would be amazing and is on my list one day.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I've always thought people travel to Europe too much before seeing our country.
i agree with this, but i am also one of those people. my mindset is... traveling far distances (to asia, europe, tahiti, etc) from chicago takes a lot out of you. it is much easier to do while you are young(er) vs when you are a little further along in life. you are able to recover quicker, you dont have as many ailments, etc.
i want to travel faaaar, now, while i have the strength and stamina. i can see the local stuff later when im a bit older (y)

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Hamm Any more information you could tell me about Durango, CO? Better to hear it from someone who has been there over just googling it. Mom doesn't care where we go as it's more about myself and my best friend but I don't think he wants to see snow. But we'll see. Still months away and I'm good at convincing. I just don't care for hot weather and warm beaches is all.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Durango is cool been a few times but to be honest I'd still look at going further west. You could do a trip that includes Durango. I'd personally look at Flagstaff AZ. Close to ruins, Sedona, Grand Canyon.... Flag in Nov won't be too hot lol. Great trip would be Flagstaff-Moab-Durango with stops all over the place. You'd see lots of places to make you feel small, crazy ruins and scenery that makes your jaw drop!