What's new

Cold water straight shave

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I know there are a handful of traditional shavers on the board. Who here shaves with cold water? I tried it out yesterday and today and I must say, my face feels orgasmic.

Once I stepped into the world of wet shaving my shave quality increased dramatically. Even so, I still battle razor bumps and constant ingrown hairs if I'm not careful. Yesterday I tried a cold shower followed by a cold shave with my straight and I had zero razor irritation. This morning, with the confidence from the prior shave, I took another cold shower and attempted an even closer shave. Again, no irritation. I didn't go fully against the grain in all areas of my face (because I know certains spots are just asking for trouble) but I may try it tomorrow.

Any other cold water shavers here?

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I used to cold-water shave before I started shaving my head, then I switched to electric to do it all at once :) Not as good of a shave, for sure, but I don't like blade-shaving my head, makes me really nervous, lol.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Been wet shaving for a long long time. Never heard of this, will have to try. Do you use a brush? How's the lather w cold water?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
...but I don't like blade-shaving my head, makes me really nervous, lol.
I shaved my head once. It looked terrible. Then I went out and played a round of golf wearing a visor hat. I ended up with the absolute most horrible sunburn of my life. Never again.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Been wet shaving for a long long time. Never heard of this, will have to try. Do you use a brush? How's the lather w cold water?
Yup, a regular badger brush. I just recently switched to using soaps instead of creams but I was able to build a lather without any problems. I'll keep shaving like this for the next week and continue to report the results. I long for the day of perfectly clear skin and a baby smooth face all over...

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I use a badger brush and soap also. I can't imagine a cold shave working but I'll try anything once. You never know until you try it. Thanks for the idea. :)

Nemo

batsh!t crazy
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
Cold shaves are the best!! I've been traditional wet shaving for a couple of years now and started cold water about 6 months ago and I can tell a huge difference in my skin and I haven't had one bit of razor burn or irrational since I made the switch.

If you're worried about cold lather, you can run by any world market and pick a small "brush scuttle" for cheap! It's really a little gravy scuttle but holds a brush great and keeps it warm enough or you could spring for a real scuttle and use hot water to keep the lather warm and fill the sink basin with cold water.

scuttle links
benton clay
dirty bird scuttles

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I've been shaving my head for almost 15 years now but have never had the cojones to use a straight razor. The Schick Quatro is my current weapon of choice along with Barbasol shaving cream. My wife bought me one of those funky head blades that looks like a hot wheels car with blades on it a couple of years ago but I couldn't get used to it.

I'm going to have to try it with cold water. I don't have any problems with my skull but my neck does get very irritated. Maybe a cold water shave will make the difference.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I recently got into wet shaving with a DE butterfly saftey... cartridge razors were failing me miserably. I hadn't thought to use cold water, but now that you mention it, there is a scene in Good Morning Vietnam where the boring radio guy is talking about this for the GI's in the field...

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Another ice cold shower and cold water shave this morning. It's a little early to tell but so far no bumps (they usually kick in some time in the afternoon) and I did a really close shave.

I'm the type of person who is constantly hot and on the edge of sweating at any moment. Getting a cold shower first thing in the morning has kept my core body temp down all the way until getting to work. I'm no longer grasping at my fan as soon as I get to my desk and I'm actually quite cold while getting ready for work. It's great!