What's new

Colloquialisms

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tourists/Valley or Bay Area folks = Cods or Codfish (your rarely hear people say codfish anymore..that was more mid to late 90's)
Their children are called Guppies
I don't get over there they much, so I didn't know I was a Cod.... :LOL:

Of course, I work with teenagers every day so I get exposed to all sorts of terms... they always think it is weird when I use their slang, so naturally I use it at every opportunity...

Do these make it back east?

Butthurt - upset especially overly upset for no reason... Don't get butthurt about it

Outta Pocket - like if someone does something unexpected or inappropriate they did it outta pocket

Dip - not only tobacco but also to leave... My friend and I have to dip in 10 minutes

Sick - really good

There are tons more and omg the dating terminology that the kids use now... hanging around, talking, etc.. hell, are you dating or not? You would think that is a simple answer lololol

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't get over there they much, so I didn't know I was a Cod.... :LOL:
That term is only used when such folks are in the mountains, so unless your up there your not a cod.
Once you get to Blue Canyon you become a cod.:LOL:
It's hard to explain and I didn't create these terms. It was already common speak when I arrived in '94.
No disrespect meant, it's just the way it is. Unfortunately I never questioned the forefathers of this mountain speak.

Gaper is another term used. I think cod and gaper come from the O face people get when they arrive in the mountains.
The side effects of awe and amazement, but again I can't confirm this.

Last edited:

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
middle/northern Sonoma County, Ca weed speak:
Marijuana = Treer or Thit
"You got the treer man???" "I got a satchel of thit yesterday."

If your at a party or anywhere really, and you hear "eewweehee" or "eewweehoooo" that means that person just smoked some really good herb and is super baked.
It's like a mating call but different.:LOL: Depending on how loud you do it, people will find you and ask if you have any for sale.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Just a few of the Minnesota ones that come to mind....

Casseroles are called Hotdish
The kids game Duck-Duck Goose is called Duck-Duck, Grey Duck
We say "Pop" (not soda)
like most Midwesterners it is pronounced "car-mel" (carmle) not "care a mel"
Oof-da! or "cripes" are ways of expressing surprise (think Oy-vey!)
Geez-Louise and ope! are pretty common expressions too.
They also throw a sausage at you when you hit a home run. Go Twins!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That term is only used when such folks are in the mountains, so unless your up there your not a cod.
Once you get to Blue Canyon you become a cod.:LOL:
It's hard to explain and I didn't create these terms. It was already common speak when I arrived in '94.
No disrespect meant, it's just the way it is. Unfortunately I never questioned the forefathers of this mountain speak.

Gaper is another term used. I think cod and gaper come from the O face people get when they arrive in the mountains.
The side effects of awe and amazement, but again I can't confirm this.
I would rather be a cod than a gaper. Gaper sounds like an internet category that I do not want in my search history...

Bruh is big here too... people were lazy enough going from brother to bro, and they can't even hold the end of a single syllable word lol... It comes out between "bruh" and "bra" in pronunciation.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I would rather be a cod than a gaper. Gaper sounds like an internet category that I do not want in my search history...

Bruh is big here too... people were lazy enough going from brother to bro, and they can't even hold the end of a single syllable word lol... It comes out between "bruh" and "bra" in pronunciation.
Cali/Haole speak aka Caole. I am guilty of this.
We wish we were hawaiian but were not. We're Cawaiians...wannabe's...Barneys...kooks.