What's new

Complexity VS Fullbody

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Lately I have disregarded a lot of cigars for the simple fact they weren't strong enough. Or simply did not smack me in the face with flavor. I've been trying To be more open minded about what cigars I choose, and dig down in the humi. Stuff I wouldn't normally smoke I am smoking. At first it was just to get rid of them, then I came across a few that were very tasty. Mild-medium cigars that took concentration to distinguish and taste certain notes and flavors. An opposite from the normal liga, Tatuaje cigars I normally smoke.

What I am trying to say is, change is good, smoke something new, and examine and enjoy it for what it is, no what you or I think it should be. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I think Sake vs Zinfidel wines is a good analogy. A zin is definitely full-bodied while Sake is very light. However, I would never call a good Sake "simple". It's full of subtle complexities.

I am just learning now how to distinguish those characteristics in a cigar. But, back to your original post, I wonder if the fact that they had been sitting in the humi for a wihle altered their characteristics enough to the point where they are, in fact, a completely different smoke?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think Sake vs Zinfidel wines is a good analogy. A zin is definitely full-bodied while Sake is very light. However, I would never call a good Sake "simple". It's full of subtle complexities.

I am just learning now how to distinguish those characteristics in a cigar. But, back to your original post, I wonder if the fact that they had been sitting in the humi for a wihle altered their characteristics enough to the point where they are, in fact, a completely different smoke?
I don't think so, maybe slightly. Nothing was in there more than a year as I usually gift out what I don't plan on smoking.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
What did you find that you liked? I have trouble with the mild smokes can't taste anything.
Do you retrohale, and how often do you smoke? I find milder cigars need to be smoked before anything else in the day, and also retrohaling brings out a world of subtle flavors. Also if you smoke a lot, your tastebuds may be worn out and unable to appreciate the milder cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easier to blend a strong cigar than a complex, flavorful one. I've overlooked many a cigar because I thought it wouldn't be strong enough. Within the last year and a half I've really branched out and I try to give everything a shot and I've found myself going for medium strength cigars the most nowadays. I still appreciate a good, strong smoke, but it's increasingly harder to find a good, strong smoke.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Good thread, thanks for starting it. I know that for me, I was a died in the wool I want the smoke to kick me in the chest smoker, LFD Chisels and DL's for breakfast, the more powerful, the better. I believe my reasoning was that if I am only going to smoke once every two weeks or so, I'd better get my money's worth. After sitting with a couple of sage BOTL's who taught me their three puff method and how just like German Beer, cigars were to be enjoyed slowly and deliberately, I was able to find pleasure in some of the not so strong sticks.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What did you find that you liked? I have trouble with the mild smokes can't taste anything.
Do you retrohale, and how often do you smoke? I find milder cigars need to be smoked before anything else in the day, and also retrohaling brings out a world of subtle flavors. Also if you smoke a lot, your tastebuds may be worn out and unable to appreciate the milder cigars.
Yes I retrohale and that helps. I smoke about 2-3 cigars a week so I kind of doubt that's the issue. I really think it's my nose that isn't working that well, had a crash a couple of years ago and ever sense my sense of smell isn't quite what it used to be.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Great topic! I agree that you lose flavor and depth as you rise in the strength category. My favorites right now in the mild/medium are the A. Fuente Don Carlos, Illusione Epernay, and H. Upmann Legacy. If you want to push this experiment even further and rediscover Connecticut Shade, it's worthwhile too. Ashton Cabinet and the new Macanudo Estate Reserve are killer mild shade wrapped cigars that offer some great delicate flavors.

That being said, I always veer back to full bodied powerhouses once in a while to remind me I'm alive!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I started out liked strong/full bodied stuff, but now I can barely smoke them unless I eat a 7 course meal first. :crosseyed More flavor, less power is my motto these days, though I do enjoy a strong Nicaraguan maduro cigar every now and then, but I reach for light/medium bodied/strength sticks & CC's over anything else these days...

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I cannot handle incredibly strong smokes (LFD Chap 1, etc) but I like medium bodied full flavored smokes. I have often wondered about Mild/medium full flavor and I appreciate this post becuase I will now try to seek out some of these that wont kick me in the face with an N bomb.

Any mild strength maduro wrapped smokes out there? I seem to always gravitate toward maduros.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Try some of the darker leaves like Habano, Oscuro or sun-grown if you want a non-maduro experience with a lot of flavor. My tastes have gravitated to spicier and meatier, otherwise they just taste bland to me. One of my old favorites, the Gran Habano Azteca Fuerte is like smoking air now for some reason. I hadn't had any for some time and I remembered them to be spicy and full of flavor, but now - nothing. No nose tickle, nothing, and this is from two completely different batches as far as I can tell.

I do not like nicotine though and stay away from the powerhouses if possible and concentrate on full flavor instead. Some I've "discovered" lately have been the Black Crown (they also make the Sons of Anarchy cigar), Pinar del Rio lines and most Perdomos and A.J. Fernandez (San Lotano, Man 'O War, LaHerencia, etc.). Flor de Oliva is a good, cheap, consistent cigar but it has a bit of a kick if you don't smoke it real slow so that's one for you to try.

I don't care for the profile of Tats, Punch, RyJ, AF, etc. and I don't know why for sure. I guess it's like the Coke/Pepsi thing, people's palates are different.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Great post. This is super true for me as recently you all have decided to bomb the Chit out of me. I have been smoking a lot that's out of norm. And I have found some very nice medium body sticks.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find myself smoking smaller vitolas of the heavier stuff. Coronas are my favorite, but mild/medium cigars ill smoke a larger vitola. I've always smoked everything from mild to wild

Rating - 92.3%
13   1   0
but......

there is mild body/stregnth, full flavor smokes
then there is macanudo mild, like smoking hot air.

i find the very flavorful mild, and mild/meds, to be exceptional, however very few and far between.