What's new

Compressor conversion

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m new to the thread. Been reading lot of post regarding a compressor winador conversion. I currently have 3 small TE that the wife want gone. So I picked up a 42bottle Frigidaire compressor winecooler. I looking for ideas and what not that need to go into this winador so I can start storing my cigars in. I live in New Orleans, LA so humidity isn’t a issue. I’ve been using 64% RH Boveda pack in my TE. Can I use the same in the compressor or do I have to switch to beads. Other than beads do u need to put other add on to get it rolling?
im planning on Adding Spanish cedar in the unit and build my own cedar shelves so that should help stabilize the humidity. Please let me know what else I can do to improve this set up.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sounds like a complicated project. Would you be willing to store in Tupperware inside of it. That way you could control RH in those and temp control with the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome from Slidell! There are threads on the board and floating around the net about converting compressor type units to work as humidors but I think it's a bit of project and I wouldn't know where to start. . I use refrigerators as my humidors but as Mpomario suggested I store my cigars in weather sealed Tupperware and just use the refrigerator for cooling. You could go with active humidification during our winters since, if you keep the house cool enough the compressor won't be running very often but with summer only 4 months away you may have a hard time keeping up on the long haul.

Instead of building shelves you can just build trays to fit inside the Tupperware.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Sell the compressor unit and grab a thermoelectric model. It would be a huge hassle to mess with (considering you will probably outgrow the cooler eventually ) if you have to use it and you have a basement you can get away with not running it. Craigslist is your best friend for cheap wine coolers, embrace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got as cheep compressor unit and just threw out the compressor. I have A/C in my house so it seldom gets too hot. But the main thing I do is freeze all my sticks for 4 days before they go into the humidor. That way if the temperature gets too high I don't have anything to worry about. High temperature won't bother your cigars. It is only the danger of hatching beetles. I use lots of kitty litter to control the RH and it stays rock solid, regardless of temperature.
Of course, I don't live in New Orleans so I don't really know what you are up against with your crazy heat and humidity.