What's new

Computer geniuses apply here.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'm looking at purchasing an all in one home computer tomorrow and I see a Ton of them on the market from $500~$2199. I really just need a computer for the kids and regular inherent stuff. My daughter loves photography and wants to do photo editing.. Wi-Fi off course etc. Any recommendations???? I'd like to get something for the price range between $700~$1200.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Don't know her age, but if she's into "real" photo editing or anything, you can sometimes get macs for 1700 or so.

ANY photo/graphic design person uses a Mac almost without exception.

Having said that, I am a semipro photographer and I get by just fine with my sony vaio laptop and photoshop elements- total $800.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Man lot of stuff to choose from need few more specifics to give you better recomendations.
1) you say daughter want to do photo editing, what particular program will she be running.
2) what about gaming? any steam users in the home.
3) what screen size would you like.

Why an all in one over the tradtitional desktop? are you open to building your own.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Man lot of stuff to choose from need few more specifics to give you better recomendations.
1) you say daughter want to do photo editing, what particular program will she be running.
2) what about gaming? any steam users in the home.
3) what screen size would you like.

Why an all in one over the tradtitional desktop? are you open to building your own.
I would say not much gaming at all. I prefer a bigger screen 23 ~ 27 in screen. My daughter has a Nikon D3200 and she wants to photo uploading and editing.. I could prob get away with any run of the mill unit...

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Oh, desktop... Elements off the shelf should work for her but I'm by know means an expert on the computer side of things. On the photo side I would think it would cover all the bases, and it's usually $79-99 at SAMs or Costco

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to stay away from any sort "all in one" design. As for macs you are not getting anything close to what you are paying for.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Is she used to any certain type of operating system? For that matter is anyone that's going to be using it used to a certain operating system. It can be annoying to have to learn to use a Mac if you're very comfortable with windows. And vise versa. But to basically answer your question. Any Mac will do. Think of them as the liga no.9. Most everyone likes them they preform great 9 times out of ten. But there is a lot of hype so they can be a little over priced. Then you have your windows. What you could say is a Cuban. They don't always preform great but when they do they are outstanding. Unfortunately they are not all created equally. And sometimes there is stuff in there you just don't want or need. But those that really get into them. Fall in love. If you get a windows PC just go to any computer store or best buy and find one you like the look size and price of. Ask the sales person if it has wifi capabilities and can handle a lot of movie streaming. This will insure your speeds are good and it has a good video card which your daughter will want. Then ask for a program called adobe light room 4. About 80$ and is a great beginner photo program. Or if you want, I can easily walk you through downloading it for free ;) but that like Cuban sources is something we don't discuss in the open. Lol.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Also you can go off your cell phones. If you guys are Android users get a windows computer. If you're iphone users get a Mac. You'd be surprised how similar the phones operating systems are to the computers.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Judge operating system by familiarity (Mac vs. PC) nothing about a Mac makes it "good" for photo/video editing, and you pay 3x the price to fund their slick advertising campaigns and trendy packaging. Don't get me wrong, they make a solid product, but the software is key. (usually will be something from Adobe, mentioned above, and available universally on both platforms) If she's an Apple person, probably best to go that route for ease of use. If she's not, great! You can buy two systems, one for each of ya and still have money left to fill your humi!
If she has no preference and she's at all technical (good chance, seeing she's shooting beyond point and shoot "auto" mode) buy the PC. The biggest appeal to Apple products, whether the users will admit it or not, is that most of your choice and free will is removed. Apple decides what's best for you and THEY tell YOU what you want. To some, that's "easy" and "it just works". But again, she's not shooting a point and shoot, she's working with something with options and settings. To me, that's a great analogy: DSLR on auto vs manual = Apple vs PC

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I currently have 3 windows desktops and 1 Mac. To be honest I just love my MacBook! That being said having a 27" monitor on an hp desktop with 16 gigs of ram and a 2 tb hard drive kicks ass. My 2 cents is to stay away from an all in one computer and get a desktop

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When all in ones came out they had problems. Now that they have been out awhile they aren't bad. Just don't go cheap. But for the price of a good call in one you can get a lot more power from a desk top. The only real advantage a Mac has is that in 2 years it will still be worth something where a PC will not.
For photo work check out gimp. It's free and can do all the really use full things that Photoshop has.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk