What's new

Computer issue, Weird

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Ok all you techy’s out there, Splain this: I’m in Florida for about six days using my computer daily. It’s not all that hot out so we leave the doors and windows open for the Sea breezes. Go to use my computer on the seventh day and it doesn’t turn on. ?????? Do some checking with the iPad and it would seem the “on” button/switch may be bad? Call a computer repair guy here in St Augustine to find out what’s wrong and get it repaired. The guy tells me to bring in the laptop and the cord, as the cord may not be charging the battery or providing enough power for the laptop. ?????? So, I pack up everything, take to the guy. He checks the cord and its fine. I put the laptop on his counter, hit the power button. And as usually happens, the thing fires right up.???????? As would happen, we shut it down and turned it back on 5 more times and it starts every time. Took it back to the Condo and never had another issue with it. The guy calls me two days later and says it may have been the humidity and running the AC in the car may have dried it out. ?????????????? That was April 2014, fast forward to April 2015. 3rd week into this year’s stay the SAME THING happens. Laptop won’t start!??!?!?!???! Sooo, I put the thing in the car for a few errands that we had to run. AC running the whole time, get home and it starts 1st try. Two days later, won’t start again. Another day in the car, get home and it starts right up. ????? Next morning, NO GO! Another ride, still no go! Now I’m getting a little frustrated, so I keep pushing the dang button and nothing! That night it starts. Yea!! So I set it go to Hibernate and close the top. This morning, there’s nothing again!!??? But, I notice the power light around the start button is lit and still nothing. The laptop goes for another ride……..come home and nothing. Plug the power cord in and the “charge indicator” shows it’s charging the battery. Still nothing!!!!???? I must have pushed that little power button at least 20 times and still nothing. I leave it open for about three hours with the charge indicator showing the cord is providing power and charging the battery. The “on” button light is lit indicating the computer is “on”, but nothing happening.. ????? Just happen to take a look 3 hrs later and the laptop is working again. ?????????? Everything is functioning fine……….Anyone got any ideas?? I’m getting more than a little nervous about shutting it down again. May just leave it turned “on” for a couple of days. Anybody got any Ideas? I’ve already thought of the “time to get a new one” scenario. This one’s not that old. It’s a Dell if that makes any difference???

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Sounds to me like it may be a short somewhere. Honestly you can take it to a computer guy but laptops are so cheap nowadays it's hard to justify paying half of what it costs to get it fixed. Unless Dell has it under warranty I would consider just buying a new one and maybe getting an extended warranty with it.

That is weird though and I've never seen or heard of that issue personally. Hopefully there is someone else that may have a better answer.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think the guy is a nut. Drying out a computer? SERIOUSLY????
I think you have a hardware issue that could be as simple as the button needing to be replaced to a short on the mother board.
Back it up asap. Go 90 days same as cash on a new one at Best Buy. Donate the carcass to goodwil.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Have restarted several times and there has been no more issue (yet). Only happens in Florida????? We'll see........may be time for a new one.
@BradMc My fingers aren't THAT fat............