What's new

Convert a cigarette smoker?

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I am trying to shift the girlfriend over to cigars. Any suggestions? She smokes menthol newports, so I was thinking acid c notes as a starter. I have been working her into American Spirits as well. Any suggestions throw them out here, just trying to get her more on the cigar boat then cigarette, she wasn't a fan of the pipe.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation my gf smokes Newports, she smokes from my cigar from time to time but the other day she got a big nicotine buzz and now she doesn't want to try them anymore. I have try different cigars from macanudo to CAO flavors but she just won't leave those stinky cigarettes. She says the same about my cigars.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I think I can offer some insight here...

I'm a converted cigarette smoker myself, 3 years this November. You have to want to quit cigarettes, in order to quit. And even with cigars, you still have to kick the cigarette habit - the quick smoke after a meal, or when you're stressed, or bored, etc... Any way you spin it, it's a big change - more on that later.

I haven't cheated since the day I quit, and cigars definitely allowed me to stick with it - one of the big challenges for me was that I would chain smoke when I drank, and I like a beer or 2 on most nights. I abstained from alcohol for a short while after quitting, but I like beer, so I wasn't giving up drinking - that's too much change at once. So having a cigar with my Nattys kept me from going weak and running back to the Camels. One could argue that my love of cigars is just replacing one crutch with another, but that's beside the point.

Point is, cigars CAN help kick the cigarettes - but you (or in this case, your girlfriends) still have to want to quit cigarettes, and that's it's own thing. It's a major change, so take it slow by smoking both cigars and cigarettes for a while. Quitting cigarettes is one thing, learning to love cigars is another - don't do them both at the same time.

@broadleaf - if she likes the American Spirits, you might be able to incorporate cigars into that journey...? I still suggest slow and steady overall, though.

@Gmab980 - yours might be a tougher case to crack... maybe pick up something light with a sweet tip, like Fontanas or Isla del Sols?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I think I can offer some insight here...

I'm a converted cigarette smoker myself, 3 years this November. You have to want to quit cigarettes, in order to quit. And even with cigars, you still have to kick the cigarette habit - the quick smoke after a meal, or when you're stressed, or bored, etc... Any way you spin it, it's a big change - more on that later.

I haven't cheated since the day I quit, and cigars definitely allowed me to stick with it - one of the big challenges for me was that I would chain smoke when I drank, and I like a beer or 2 on most nights. I abstained from alcohol for a short while after quitting, but I like beer, so I wasn't giving up drinking - that's too much change at once. So having a cigar with my Nattys kept me from going weak and running back to the Camels. One could argue that my love of cigars is just replacing one crutch with another, but that's beside the point.

Point is, cigars CAN help kick the cigarettes - but you (or in this case, your girlfriends) still have to want to quit cigarettes, and that's it's own thing. It's a major change, so take it slow by smoking both cigars and cigarettes for a while. Quitting cigarettes is one thing, learning to love cigars is another - don't do them both at the same time.

@broadleaf - if she likes the American Spirits, you might be able to incorporate cigars into that journey...? I still suggest slow and steady overall, though.

@Gmab980 - yours might be a tougher case to crack... maybe pick up something light with a sweet tip, like Fontanas or Isla del Sols?
@Gmab980 that sounds like my GF, she's getting more comfortable with cigars because of how much I smoke them, she loves the smell and wants me to smoke them in the house which is a whole other thing lol.

@multi-useless thanks for the advice, I will have her start one during drinking nights and see if she sticks with it. Just a process I guess. Yeah the short time span to the big time span seems to be the issue, why I thought the c-notes may help

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cuban minis are good if you can get them. If not I like Phillies titans as they have a sweet note for the first time smoker. Mehars also make some nice short flavoured cigars. I think converting cigarette smokers to cigars, especially ladies, need a short sweet smoke. Good luck sir!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I too quit cigarettes and used cigars as a helping aid, but just like @multi-useless said you still have to WANT to quit. Nothing replaces the super fast convince of a cigarette for getting a nicotine fix. Esp after a meal, and if you don't have time for a cigar to help take your mind off the need for nicotine you'll most likely end up just saying f-it and smoke a cigarette.

So I'd suggest some sort of a smaller quicker cigar probably for those times, but I can't be of huge help since I am able to smoke all day at work I never had to worry about not having the time for a cigar. But I can say if they want to quit it is possible, I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All of the above, I smoked a pack+ per day of Camels, for 5+ years, and cigars made it much much easier. But after eating dinner, or a quick break is the biggest change. The cigar with a book,etc is a way to relax but you have to be able to say I can wait till later and then devote some time for a nice smoke. If I go back into my college town or something similar for homecoming, I may end up with a drunken cigarette although the smell lingers with me for quite some time now. It's also much harder to be around people that do smoke, as you get excluded from the group when they go to smoke. It's a challenge to put it lightly, although patches at the lady helped me get through it. (Both her parents were heavy smokers as well, hates the smell of cigarette smoke, although thinks a nice stogie smells great)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked cigarettes for 2 years. Although I smoked cigars on and off during that time, nothing beat a quick smoke and the desired buzz. I quit Cold Turkey and now get a headache from cigarette smoke. Like Multi-Useless said, you have to want to stop. No substitute tobacco is guaranteed to make you quit cigarettes altogether. Heck I know people that chew and smoke, because they thought chewing would help them stop cigarettes!

I may be alone here, but I find the Nic feeling from cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco to be three distinctive feelings. One can never really give what the others can.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice @ broadleaf @multi- useless.

I too was a cigarette smoker since I was 15-16 years old, last time I had a cigarette was 2 years ago when I completely stop, now days it makes me dizzy even the smell.
If she wants to smoke cigars I'm fine, but for she doesn't I won't really care as long as she doesn't complaint about the smell of some of them.
She likes the partagas clubs but not other sweet cigars which is nice I'm glad she doesn't like cohibas.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I smoke an occasional cigarette every now and then if I'm out drinking with some friends and enjoy a the quick nicotine buzz from it although it's so short, it's not worth it. I have a couple of friends who are cigarette smokers and their palate is so desensitized from the cigarettes that they don't really taste much out of cigars (many of them inhale by reflex and this makes the whole experience bad).
To me cigar smoking is not about the quick buzz, but about the experience, taste, socializing, or relaxing by myself.
I think learning to appreciate a cigar takes time which is why there aren't many cigar smokers. It's like trying to convince someone who likes hamburgers and fried chicken (taste) to like sushi (taste, texture, experience). I love fried chicken the first time I tried it and it tastes the same now. I thought sushi was ok when I first tried it, but now I love it and appreciate the unique tastes and textures. It took time.
I also think that if you aren't intrigued by a cigar right away (the smell, experience etc.), you probably won't have the motivation to learn to appreciate it. And for whatever reason, way more men are initially intrigued by a cigar than women. For this reason, I don't try and "get anyone into cigars" unless they show an inherent attraction to it in the first place.
I remember the first couple of months of smoking cigars. Although I liked it, I was nowhere near tasting what's in the cigar like I can and do now. It's like night and day. When I smoke with someone who is not a regular cigar smoker, I can only assume that they are experiencing what I did when I first smoked (which is kinda sad).

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
The wife was never a cigarette smoker but cao cherrybombs (the cigarillo size) is what converted her to smoking the occasional cigar with me.

Now if anyone has ideas for keeping her off of my good stuff I'd love to hear that advice.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was also going to suggest the CAO line. There is a bourbon and vanilla flavor that goes great with a round of golf. They also have an Irish cream flavor that is very tasty.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I actually went through that same transition about a year and a half ago.

Gave up cigarettes over night, but picked up a pipe and cigars as a crutch.

Soon the pipe became my cigarette, I found milder blends that I enjoyed like Dunhill EMP and fully inhaled them, before I knew it I was at 4-5 full bowls a day fully inhaled... well I knew I was a cigarette smoker again, even if I was using a pipe.

So now I'm weening myself off them, I don't smoke Monday through Friday morning unless on holidays, smoke Fri, Sat, sometimes Sun.

If the goal is to only smoke cigars socially, and kick the cigarettes, it might be a good idea to get some Nic patches. That helped me not lose my mind at colleagues and family for the first week, then I was ok to smoke weekends only.

I do notice it when I overdo a weekend, come Monday I want to smoke, but the cravings are so few and far between now they are manageable.

I really never though I'd get to where I'm sitting today, smoking only on weekends, it's a habit that can consume you, and you think you can't live without.. which may be the case for me still but I'm enjoying moderating.

Not to mention everything tastes so much better when you have starved yourself of it, and your taste buds get a chance to grow back. Good luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have a cigarette. I use pipes and cigars
My daughter in law age 37 smokes cigars and I provide cigars from my locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk