What's new

Convert a fridge?

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I live in southern cali, and in the summer it gets really hot, I have to keep the air conditioner on in my den to keep the temps down, right now I have 120 qt Igloo cooler, and 4 desktop humi's, I want a permanent easy way for more storage.
I have been looking at the wine coolers, but anything big enough for my needs are pretty pricey, I'm thinking about getting a used cheap refrigerator, and converting it into a big cooler for my smokes, I was thinking I can gut the compressor and other stuff it comes with and just add a couple peltier junctions, and a ranco temp controller to keep it at a constant 68 degrees, and a couple pounds of kitty litter to control the humidity, also add a couple small fans inside for circulation,
anybody ever hear of anybody doing this? I'm pretty handy and can do the mod in a day, I can also get the parts pretty cheap online, it seems like a cheap way to have a lot of stable storage, am I missing something?

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've seen people house large collections inside refrigerators, but I don't think any of them were converted with Peltier. I believe they were just not capable of cooling, and more of just a large storage unit...they didn't use the compressor's cooling function.

I wish you much luck, and I hope you post pictures and updates if you decide to venture down that path. Good luck to you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a beautiful fridgeador, but there's no cooling in there.

I lived in SoCal, and I think the peltiers will work better the closer you live to the water. If you're full on in the desert, it'll be rough. The peltiers can only cool to a certain level below ambient air (as opposed to an absolute temp), so they may not be strong enough if the box is in a garage. It'll work fine if the fridge's in the house.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
After reading the replies and thinking this out, I'm sure it would work, as long as I can get the peltiers at a good price it will be worth it, looks like I have a new project, I'm going to start collecting the required parts, when I get started on it I'll start a thread for anybody that wants to follow along.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Runs like a champ!

After reading the replies and thinking this out, I'm sure it would work, as long as I can get the peltiers at a good price it will be worth it, looks like I have a new project, I'm going to start collecting the required parts, when I get started on it I'll start a thread for anybody that wants to follow along.
Try ebay, there's plenty of chips around.