What's new

Convert bedroom into cigar room with walk-in humidor?

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I don't think I'd do that. I'd be concerned than anything other than Spanish Cedar will have too strong an aroma or the wrong one. It might smell fine in a sniff test, but remember, your sticks are going to be exposed to this stuff for years and years...
They actually use mahogany in humidors and the odor is less intense than that of spanish cedar. In fact, spanish cedar is of the same family as mahogany. THis is not to be confused with American red mahogany which gives off a strong intense odor. To be precise, you can use Honduran Mahogany to save on costs. Also, honduran mahogany has a humidity absorption rate comparable to that of Spanish cedar. The downside is the desired flavoring of cigars is also not as good as with Spanish cedar.

For long-term cigar storage humidors, humidors which are lined with Spanish cedar are preferred. For walk-ins other woods with high humidity absorption capacity can also be used (like honduran mahogany) because in cabinet humidors/walk-ins the cigars are generally stored in their original Spanish cedar boxes. Hope this helps...

Last edited:

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Keep in mind when you exhaust the smoking room with a fan as large as suggested above, you will be exhausting not only smoke but also your cool air conditioned air. With no return air in the room to the a/c you may have a problem.

Ideally you would want a stand alone a/c system for the smoking room. This may not be pratical.

Bottom line is when you are in there smoking you may have to crank up the a/c a bit for the time you are in the room. And just realize that you are pumping your cooled air outside along with the smoke.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... For long-term cigar storage humidors humidors which are lined with Spanish cedar are preferred. For walk-ins other woods with high humidity absorption capacity can also be used (like honduran mahogany) because in cabinet humidors/walk-ins the cigars are generally stored in their original Spanish cedar boxes. Hope this helps...
Thanks. Makes sense, now that you mention it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am an HVAC Installer/Mechanic, and also your temporary roommate, so I guess I can help with that part. As far as humidifying the closet, you may want to consider tearing out the walls and using a bathroom backer board like someone mentioned before to prevent humidity from eating it up. What kind of lighting are you planning on doing? What about humidification? Too much to think about all at one time. I say you rip all of the crap out of the closet and start from there since you really do not need that room.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm mid-construction with my garage-converted room, I can't stress enough on fresh air intake. You remove 1000CFM's, you gotta replace 1000CFMS's. I'm learning this the hard way, and have to revamp my fresh air intake.

marccote

Cigar Companero Editor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use green board to bakc up the humidor room I know a wholesale cedar source out fo the DR for you and contact CMT to get the best humidification system, remmber not to put a return in the closet if you plan on using HVAC and seems ther emight be a confusion about spansih cedar, it is nto really a cedar that is just what they call it, it is a hardwood with a cedar smell, as far as your smoking room I beleive that Hoenywell makes this contraption you can actually put in your vent system with etra return, also a company called EcoQuest makes a electrostatic system for the vent system tha should kill the stale smoek smell and whatnot PM me is you want the contact for the cedar, it is not expensive to ship as they ship by containers and fill several orders at once so they alwasy ship a full container then havce it distributed once it comes stateside

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It depends...I'm not sure about the TECA units but you'd have to make sure it does not dehumidify the environment while it cools. Wine chillers are probably the best bet but might be overkill if your closet is small. Not sure how much big your closet is in cubic ft but when I plan on building my walk-in this is the cooling unit I'll probably use. It's all self-contained in 1 unit..no separate exhaust run, no condensation line, etc.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/cooling/koolspace/AP-3.shtml
I like the idea of this unit and it's cheap!!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in my basement (smoking room)

Feel free to PM me with any questions. My room is air tight and works great. My father in law said it would never work and that cigar smoke would be detectable throughout the house. I showed him:halfgrinw
My next project was going to be a walk in humidor but I think I may just do a built in (I dont think I could fill a walk in $$$$$)
Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.