What's new

Converting attic into cigar lounge

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Does anybody smoke in their attic? Pros/cons/thoughts?

My attic is fairly large and might make a great smoking area in the house, with hopes the smell doesn’t roam. Wondering if anybody can give some advice as to what I should do to try to seal it off.

It’s a pull down, so i’d have to figure out someway to pull the ladder up when i’m up there (and back down so i don’t trap myself lol)

Damn new jersey cold really put a dent in my smoking, wish I had an extra room to smoke in dammit!
Ever see Christmas vacation?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure just how cold it gets or how much snow but if you start heating up the roof and its below freezing you could make some nasty ice dams.
good too know brother thank you. i didn’t think about that.
it generally stays around 60 degrees on these colder days which is good for me so no heater needed.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
There are wood sheds out there for 500 dollars. Add in a indoor safe lp heater. (They do make them)
Add a bath fan, with fresh air intake. 1k dollars gets you a vented warm shed. Ready to keep any cigar smoker happy thru the winter. If wish guys would consider just how cheap this route could be.
(Coming from a guy who dropped 20k on a home lounge)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is late, and I'm tired, I'll post more after class tomorrow. Look at building science and doing a conditioned attic. Spray foam to seal and insulate, lower your utility bills and create an isolated space.

<I woke up>
If you were to use a closed cell foam to seal the bottom of the roof deck and the gable ends you could lower the energy requirements for the home. Then it would just be a matter sealing the floor to the walls/roof. If you wanted ventilation you could install a ERV to change out the air and recover the heating/cooling energy.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are wood sheds out there for 500 dollars. Add in a indoor safe lp heater. (They do make them)
Add a bath fan, with fresh air intake. 1k dollars gets you a vented warm shed. Ready to keep any cigar smoker happy thru the winter. If wish guys would consider just how cheap this route could be.

damn 20 grand, let’s see that spot lol!

i have yet to find a shed under a grand that doesn’t make my yard look like a white trash. anything decent is 2k plus

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Man I wish I had an attic space like that to do something with. My "attic" here in FL is barely tall enough to crawl in, and so hot even in winter you could roast a hog.

On the plus side, it is 76 degrees right now and I'm on my screened back porch enjoying the hell out of a Cloud Hopper and some Benchmark bourbon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I wish I had an attic space like that to do something with. My "attic" here in FL is barely tall enough to crawl in, and so hot even in winter you could roast a hog.

On the plus side, it is 76 degrees right now and I'm on my screened back porch enjoying the hell out of a Cloud Hopper and some Benchmark bourbon.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
damn that’s nice, i wish i had a screen porch, that would be a dream. could just weather tarp the screen in the winter and put a small heater, although you don’t have to worry about that down there. i hate winter :meh:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is late, and I'm tired, I'll post more after class tomorrow. Look at building science and doing a conditioned attic. Spray foam to seal and insulate, lower your utility bills and create an isolated space.

<I woke up>
If you were to use a closed cell foam to seal the bottom of the roof deck and the gable ends you could lower the energy requirements for the home. Then it would just be a matter sealing the floor to the walls/roof. If you wanted ventilation you could install a ERV to change out the air and recover the heating/cooling energy.
i thought about spray but heard it gave off real bad gasses and smells, also damn expensive.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
90F2509F-FE07-481D-82BF-8C068C6A5C6C.jpeg D4F52A53-CB25-4670-BA2E-E7D639D26C57.jpeg We finished our attic a couple of years ago. I tore out the ladder, mad the hole bigger and put a landing in. Luckily there was enough room downstairs for the staircase (the pull down was in a closet.

23A3822F-BE1D-4FF9-B1D1-52C067512B8D.jpeg

This was after I finished the wall. I don’t have a good pic of the actual stairs. I did this myself to save money. Unfortunately it is my wife’s art room instead of a lounge.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 109325 View attachment 109324 We finished our attic a couple of years ago. I tore out the ladder, mad the hole bigger and put a landing in. Luckily there was enough room downstairs for the staircase (the pull down was in a closet.

View attachment 109323

This was after I finished the wall. I don’t have a good pic of the actual stairs. I did this myself to save money. Unfortunately it is my wife’s art room instead of a lounge.
damn that’s nice, i love the pine boards for the ceiling that’s what i wanna do.

why don’t you get your wife a shed with a space heater or a tent and you take the attic!? lmao i hear these options are awesome! (just a joke)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
damn that’s nice, i love the pine boards for the ceiling that’s what i wanna do.

why don’t you get your wife a shed with a space heater or a tent and you take the attic!? lmao i hear these options are awesome! (just a joke)
I have a 10x13 Tuff Shed that we put in when we bought the house, but all the garden stuff lives there. A shed like that would be a good option and you could probably do it all yourself for under $5k including tv and furniture, but only one shed is allowed on the property here.

My ultimate goal is to buy a house on acreage and build one of those Morton sheds that has a shop and a loft. It would be a pretty badass shop for my bikes/woodworking and the loft would be my man cave/cigar lounge.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My ultimate goal is to buy a house on acreage and build one of those Morton sheds that has a shop and a loft. It would be a pretty badass shop for my bikes/woodworking and the loft would be my man cave/cigar lounge.
Tell me when and I'll drive up and help with the build out!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That exhaust fan of yours is going to be key. Smoke near it - have it running and I bet you find that it takes care of most of the smell concern for you!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

Post some pics of that home lounge brother!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post some pics of that home lounge brother!
will do soon brother. haven’t had time much to even smoke unfortunately, been having some long ass days at work it’s been brutal.

i’m not gonna do much decorating/furniture right now because where i live in NJ during May our town has a HUGE bulk pickup. every house throws away a massive amount of stuff, everything from last years patio set to antique furniture to bicycles and whatever else that’s been sitting in the garage unused. crazy stuff i always score big when it’s time to garbage pick :greedy:

not to mention this town is extremely weathly, median house is over 500,000. rich bastards