What's new

Cooler brands

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Its whats in it that counts ! :smile:
Funny you should say that, cause besides a box of Brazilias and a couple boxes of Edges, it's got all those smokes I bought when I first started and got to know Cbid.
I've got tons of (now vintage, lol ) Free Cubas, One Eyed Petes, Outdoorsman's Reserves, and the like! Also have 20-30 of those Horsepower cigars, maybe by Indian Tabac, and a box of Don Diego Royal Palmas (or something) tubos that JRs had on sale a loooooong time ago.

Anyways, I brought it out from hibernation cause I'll be getting a couple boxes of habanos here shortly and they'll need a home.

So I guess it's what's *going* to be in it that counts, lol.:eyepoke:

TYLER

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I put that in because it made so much sense to me after watching Josh and Tom do theirs. Its simple, easy and inexpensive. My temp and humidity rarely fluctuate more than 3 degrees. I would really like a big show piece some day but that can wait.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I put that in because it made so much sense to me after watching Josh and Tom do theirs. Its simple, easy and inexpensive. My temp and humidity rarely fluctuate more than 3 degrees. I would really like a big show piece some day but that can wait.

The problem is I either have ambient temps above 75, or ambient temps that fluctuate by 10-20 degrees.

I need some temp as well as humidity control. What I don't need is fancy and expensive, because I just don't have enough cigars (or money) for that.

Thanks guy for the responses.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
A wine cooler might give peace of mind if your concerned about tobacco beetles hatching if over 70 degrees. Otherwise a large air tight cooler will be very cost effective and easy to maintain. Most good quality regular coolers are well insulated, that should help reduce your temperature variance as well. Are you talking 10-20 degrees inside a house in a given 24 hour day? If so that is a very large temperature swing. I would be concerned about that much or a change. The more stable the temp and RH for the cigars the better.

I bought a 28 bottle Avanti thermoelectric cooler because was low price vs a comparable size compressor type like a Haier. I thought thermoelectric types keep the RH better, but not convinced that is true. I also liked the look of the Avanti.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Are you talking 10-20 degrees inside a house in a given 24 hour day?

Yep, or even 30 degrees in 24 hours. It can go from 60F, give or take 5 degees, when the heat is off at night, to 85F, give or take, when a fire gets lit (temporarily until the fire settles down. Our house is too bloody weather proofed). The upper end is usually more like 75, give or take, though.

In my bedroom it normally stays over 75 day and night, but is pretty stable temp-wise.

As I mentioned, for a short time I had been keeping my cigars on the window sill (well protected from any sun, as I said), where it stays below 70, but now it's getting colder at night and for that reason there is too much temp fluctuation there for my liking, and so I took them out of there. Now, I've been turning the heat down in my bedroom, sacrificing personal comfort for my cigars.

I know it seems ridiculous that I freeze my ass off at 70 degrees, but I have a chronic illness that makes me sensitive to cold, and am also 30 lbs underweight, so I have no fat and barely any meat on my bones. So, I put an extra blanket on my bed and have been dressing warmer. Maybe I can adjust. Or I can get a cooler and be comfortable.

Or I could freeze all my cigars, but that's a hassle when you only get one stick here, 5 there, and besides I'm afraid I'd screw it up.

If so that is a very large temperature swing. I would be concerned about that much or a change. The more stable the temp and RH for the cigars the better.
Oh, I know it.

I don't have many cigars, but for me they represent either a substantial investment, or else they were gifted to me and represent the generosity of brothers. So I take good care of them, as difficult as that has been. One way or the other, I keep the temp and RH stable, even if that means I have to babysit them constantly.

Hope you feel better soon.