What's new

cooler fan set up how to:

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Been asked this many times and figured it would just be easier to put it in a thread.
First you will need to buy some fans. Newegg has them for around $3.00

Next you'll need a molex adapter to power your fans. Newegg for around $15.

now you'll need a timer. I got a GE 7 day digital at home depot for around $15. It has 20 on/off cycles a day so you can run your fans every 70 minutes or so depending on your preference

Now you'll need something to mount to the back of the fans so that air can flow around. I used cabinet door stops attached with gel superglue

Depending on your cooler find a safe place to drill a access hole for the fan wires. Mount your fans where you like, cut off the molex connector so you can run the fan wires through the hole you drilled. Splice the wires together on the backside of your cooler into the molex connector

Plug it all in, set up your timer, and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent post! I'm looking to build a large armoir style humidor. This will do the trick.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Thanks for the write-up Mike! Did this last night and it worked out perfect. I am using 2 fans in a 28 count Vinotemp. Without fans, RH at the top of my wineador was about 58%. RH at the bottom was about 66%. Now that I got the fans going, this morning the top of the wineador was at 64% and the bottom was also at 64%. A huge improvement!

Crypto Sailor

Loose Lips Sink Ships
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Any particular fans? They have a ton. I assume the fluid circulative bearing one are not a good choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the majority of people have used 80-120mm fans. I've got 2 fans from radio shack hooked up to old cordless phone power supplies running off a manual timer and don't have an issues.

But I will be looking for the clear rubber mounts or something so I can secure them to the back of the wine fridge.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm glad to see this thread pop up. I just ordered 4 fans, an adapter and a timer. I expect to get them within the week. I wasn't having trouble with my 28 count Whynter until summer came. Now, I'm running 60 rh on the top and 66 on the bottom. I found a Hydra Electronic Humidification system laying around and put that inside. It helped a lot, but it is not on a timer and is set to turn on if humidity drops below 65. It can get caught up in a positive feedback loop and stay on constantly until I check on it and turn it off. I might have to pick your brain while setting the system up. I'm not electronically inclined.

Lionel

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have similar problems with the RH Lower on the top and higher at the bottom. Guess I need these extra fans
So what's the suggested placement? Each bottom corner facing outwards or placed down facing up wards?

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I went a little different direction. My fans have a simple red/black power wires. These are small enough to feed thru the Drain plug. Connect these to a 12v Wall wart and them put your timer in-line.