What's new

coolerdor ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone...
I have a 50 qt cooler w/65% heartfelt beads. I am using cedar gurkha boxes inside. Dumb question..... Do I leave the cigar boxes open?? I'm worried that sticks aren't getting proper humidity. Thanks in advance for any advice.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Welcome to BOTL!

Are the boxes dry? If they haven't been kept in a humid enviorment they may suck RH out of the cigars if the cigars are put in right away. I would put the boxes in the cooler for a few days with them cracked.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
as long as the cedar box has been humidified and not dried out inside, no need to keep them open. Although, it is good to open closed boxes once in a while to get new air circulating.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I mean it really will not be a problem.....yes they will suck some of the humidity out, but once they get seasoned it should be perfect.... and depending on the number of cigars in there it might not make that big of a difference in the beginning

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used mine with the lids off and used the boxs like trays...but thats just me..like tobby said as long as the boxs are seasoned they will work good too...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have some open and some closed boxes... yea it took a few weeks for me to reach a level humidity, but once i got there is really has not changed to much

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
There was a thread on here somewhere, I'm just too lazy to look it up. There was discussion on there about cello on, slide lid boxes, etc. I've of a mindset that the more airtight your boxes are in you cooler, the better. Once the humidity is set, there really isn't any need to open the boxes, the cigars will age better if left undisturbed. I have several coolers going until I get my big humi (another story) and one is strictly for long term aging. I check the humidity and temp in there a few times a week but other than that, I don't touch the cigars. Just like anything you want to take care of as you age it, less touching is better.