What's new

Coolers and Beads

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Unbelieveably easy.

I took a $7.00 Sterillite tub, threw some cedar in the bottom, added some old cigar boxes in to hold my singles... and a few ounces of beads in a salt shaker. Been perfect conditions in there, more steady than my desktop.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I haven't plunged into the bead "thang"

I want to , but unsure, my current cooler set up works okay, until a couple of days ago. Anyway I have a 120qt cooler with a custm made creedo, which just fell off(had it glued on the lid of the cooler). I hardly ever put water in the credo, I'm sorta scared to switch to beads, and how would I placed them and where, and in what :?: :?:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The beads work great and are really the only way to go. I've got a full pound in my 120qt cooler and have only had to add water to them once in the last four months. I have mine in a nylon stocking and laying in a plastic tray that is about 2"W x 8"L x 2"H and slotted all the way around on the sides. My RH stays between 63% & 65% all the time(65% beads by the way).

I know what you mean Coma. I also had two seperate credos made from floral foam in mine for awhile and they worked great. Kept one in the bottom and one sitting on a box up high. They actually worked just as good but my RH was higher using PG solution. It stayed around 68% to 69% then and I wanted to be able to lower the RH down some.

To each his own, but IMO the beads are great and the way to go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coma said:
I haven't plunged into the bead "thang"

I want to , but unsure, my current cooler set up works okay, until a couple of days ago. Anyway I have a 120qt cooler with a custm made creedo, which just fell off(had it glued on the lid of the cooler). I hardly ever put water in the credo, I'm sorta scared to switch to beads, and how would I placed them and where, and in what :?: :?:
Try putting the beads into an old aluminium cigar tube with holes punched in it. Works great and keeps the beads well contained

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
would the beads/gel work in situations where the humidity is rarely something that needs to be supplied... it needs to be subtracted from the air....

I run my humidor around 64-66... as soon as I open the door, the humidity is up around 72 as the humdity in the air is greater then what I want in the humidor (85-90% rh is not uncommon in the summer months).. I need to find a solution to how to lower the humidity rather than based around supplying it. Most that I have encountered.. (ie pg solution based) are good for supplying and sort of subtracting.. but only to a degree.. In my experiene.. the pg solutions get "full" and stop letting excess humitiy to absorb.. I would think it's the same with the climax beads etc.. they can only absorb so much.. ..

I have resorted to have one smaller humi for the smokes I intend to smoke within forseable time just to not upen the big cabinet too much during the summer months and let the air in. Seems to be working somewhat ok... not happy to have to resort to this compromise though

I run an oasis plus in the cabinett for when humidity needs to be supplied (ie winter months) and pg/ h2o in 65/35 mix for winter.. seems to go fairly ok but is messy... (hate having any type of chemical near my cigars).

Any suggestions or recomendations

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The beads are by far the best way to go for you then with your humidity that high. The beads are more absorbant than desorbant, it will only require you to dry the beads out once in a while and that can be done with a regular hair dryer.

Here is a small website that gives some info.
http://www.fuji-silysia.co.jp/english/product/humidity_control_silica/art_sorb.html

I am looking into buying a large quantity through the business I have and making it available to folks I know. I'll keep all updated.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Please do mate.. every company I have seen selling these types of products don't allow for international ordering.. (silly really as the customer would have to pay for shipment anyway)....

I would be very interested in getting my hands on some.. can pay in cash, cigars.. women what ever :lol:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Cooler's and Beads is the way to go for box storage....

But I've went away from Climax for a couple of reason's

1. It's a bitch to get your hands on the 65% stuff

2. Stringfoot turned me onto Agrosoak from Lowes -- I dont know if it's as active (meaning will absorb from the air) as climax is supposed to be... but it's been keep my cooler and desktop at a solid 65-66

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Beads are the way to go the %65 are the best If your RH is high then don't add any water to them and they'll bring it right to 65 after a few days.My coolers are full and I have'nt had to do didily squat to them in 5 months or so.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
More info: I have made contact with the manufacturer of the beads that are packaged and resold as Climaxx beads. They will be providing me with a price and shipping date in a couple of days. I will at least purchase the 65% beads unless the price is outlandish, don't think that will happen since the Climaxx folks can resell them and make a profit. If there is some interest I will also get the 70% beads but that I will assess later. Just FYI.

And yes I will ship internationally, if I can ship cigars why not some crazy beads.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I can hear the marketing now...

Step right up... step right up...

come and get some of Viper's crazy beads :wink:

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Newt said:
I can hear the marketing now...

Step right up... step right up...

come and get some of Viper's crazy beads :wink:
Well that is better than Crazy Viper's beads :lol:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I use beads in my cooler and love them!!! I got the 70 and keep them on the dry side, and my cooler is consistently between 64 and 66. I've thought about trying to get the 65, but if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have heard back from the source and I will be able to offer the beads. I can sell them for $32 per pound/shipping included. Just need to know if there is interest as I will have about 60 pounds of the stuff.

65% will be available only at this time. If you want 70% let me know and I will see if there is enough interest for me to make a bulk buy.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I will be willing to sell it in half pound quantities as well. I will just have to figure the price since the shipping cost will be about the same either way.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Viper139 said:
I will be willing to sell it in half pound quantities as well. I will just have to figure the price since the shipping cost will be about the same either way.
I will do 1/2 pound bags at $17.50 each 1/2 pound.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Love my beads. I put my cooler together for about 100 bucks. Cooler was 58, 30 for the beads and then some cedar planks to make shelves.