What's new

Coolidor or Wineador? What do you think?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So... I am ready to 'grow-up' a bit in my cigar storage. I currently have a craftsman bench 150ct. humi and a Diamond Crown 200ct. humi. The problem is, I can't store boxes. So i've been reading a lot of the threads here about the Coolidor or the Wineador. I can see the benefits of both, but am stuck. I can't decide which direction to go.

On one hand, it seems like the Coolidor is a cheaper solution. Has a great capacity. Maintains humidity, etc.

On the other hand... is a coolidor just a stepping stone to a wineador? I'd rather spend the extra money now if I know in a year or so Im just going to go for a wineador anyways. The Whynter 28 looks like an amazing solution.

Has anyone else faced this enigma? Not sure how I should proceed.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
How big do you realistically want your collection too be?

If you think you may have a cabinet ANY time in the future; get a cabinet.

If not, get a Wineador, its a great way to store and display your smokes.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Winedor is where it is at. I had a cooler and quickly upgraded once my wife gave me the go-ahead. Being in Florida, it is hard to keep a steady temperature under 72 in the house (especially in our old apartment), so the winedor (Edgestar 28 for me) is a no worries solution.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have been looking at my options to go bigger then the little humi that I have now and I got the green light from the wife last night to step up to a winedor! I was looking at 16-18 bottle and she even told me to go bigger then that...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It also comes downto budget and temperature where you are storing. The benefit to get a wineador for me comes down to the temp in the summer. In my house its at least 74-75 in the house, often higher because I'm cheap and won't spend on AC. So a cooler in anywhere sans basement is a no go. The basement is more of a pain to get to as the roommate lives down there. i want to smoke when i want, not when its ok for him to let me get one. I'm probably going to get a cooler for longer term storage though.

You have to decide based on budget and if you need the cooling factor of the wineador.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Really a hard call to make for someone else... but here are my .02...

if you absolutely must purchase new... or you are 100% set on a specific brand/model of wine cooler... the igloo/coleman cooler route is going to be a much cheaper option.. and you will likely get a lot more storage space out of it (a 150qt igloo is going to provide more space when set up properly than all but the largest wine coolers)..

but.. if you are willing to go the used route... and are not 100% sold on a particular brand/model.. you can probably get into a wineador for roughly the same money as you will spend on coolerador...

Used wine coolers ranging from 12 bottle to 28 bottles are all over my local craigslist.. all the time... normally for next to nothing in cost...

I paid $20 for my 12 bottle cooler.. it was new, and still in the box... its a "cheapie" (emmerson brand).. but it seals like a champ, and keeps a steady 65 temp all the time.. it had been a christmas present for someone that didnt want it, and she was willing to take what I would offer her just to get it out of her house..

I threw in 2 shelves (made myself) and 4x trays from Forrest .. along with a single tray from cheaphumidors.com.... at an all in cost of about $65 (including shipping)... and for less than $90 I was in business....

there are several wine coolers on the San Diego CL right now that are in the $35-$120 range that look like they are probably in decent condition.. that are about the same size as the one you are already looking at.. to include a couple of vinotemps.... Im betting if they are asking $35-$120 that you could walk away with the low end one for $25.. or one of the higher end ones for less than $100...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/3691659673.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/3706570576.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/app/3697806778.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/3697236956.html

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm not sure. I know the cabinet is probably in my future... but possibly distant future. For now, storing anywhere between 15-30 boxes would be perfect for me. Any suggestions on cabinets?

How big do you realistically want your collection too be?

If you think you may have a cabinet ANY time in the future; get a cabinet.

If not, get a Wineador, its a great way to store and display your smokes.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have a vinotemp 28. I feel like people choose either a coolidor or wineador based on their environment more than anything else. Like in most peoples cases, myself included, I have a wineador because my house in the summer gets hella hot so I use the Vino to keep the temperature controllable.

If there was any place in my house that stayed at 70 degrees year round I would have just bought some coolers and stored my sticks and boxes in that.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is great info. Thanks for taking the time. That Vinotemp 28 looks pretty great on CL. I'll have to give the guy a call. I don't have a spot where it stays 70 all year round, so it sounds like the wineador is the way to go.

Really a hard call to make for someone else... but here are my .02...

if you absolutely must purchase new... or you are 100% set on a specific brand/model of wine cooler... the igloo/coleman cooler route is going to be a much cheaper option.. and you will likely get a lot more storage space out of it (a 150qt igloo is going to provide more space when set up properly than all but the largest wine coolers)..

but.. if you are willing to go the used route... and are not 100% sold on a particular brand/model.. you can probably get into a wineador for roughly the same money as you will spend on coolerador...

Used wine coolers ranging from 12 bottle to 28 bottles are all over my local craigslist.. all the time... normally for next to nothing in cost...

I paid $20 for my 12 bottle cooler.. it was new, and still in the box... its a "cheapie" (emmerson brand).. but it seals like a champ, and keeps a steady 65 temp all the time.. it had been a christmas present for someone that didnt want it, and she was willing to take what I would offer her just to get it out of her house..

I threw in 2 shelves (made myself) and 4x trays from Forrest .. along with a single tray from cheaphumidors.com.... at an all in cost of about $65 (including shipping)... and for less than $90 I was in business....

there are several wine coolers on the San Diego CL right now that are in the $35-$120 range that look like they are probably in decent condition.. that are about the same size as the one you are already looking at.. to include a couple of vinotemps.... Im betting if they are asking $35-$120 that you could walk away with the low end one for $25.. or one of the higher end ones for less than $100...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/3691659673.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/3706570576.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/app/3697806778.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/3697236956.html

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How do you like the vinotemp 28? Im sure you have it tricked out. What about the whole condensor cooling issue? Any advice?

I have a vinotemp 28. I feel like people choose either a coolidor or wineador based on their environment more than anything else. Like in most peoples cases, myself included, I have a wineador because my house in the summer gets hella hot so I use the Vino to keep the temperature controllable.

If there was any place in my house that stayed at 70 degrees year round I would have just bought some coolers and stored my sticks and boxes in that.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
My 2 cents. If you're looking to store boxes and don't want to buy a cabinet now then go the cooler route. To me the draw of the wineador is putting some really nice drawers in there and then the ease of access. If you're storing boxes that wont really work OR you will be severely limited on space.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
How do you like the vinotemp 28? Im sure you have it tricked out. What about the whole condensor cooling issue? Any advice?

I absolutely love it. Thing holds steady humidity like a boss. by cooling issue do you mean if humidity starts to accumulate inside, like it starts to "sweat"?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah. I had read that the compressor style actually takes the liquid out of your cigars. That you should use thermoelectric instead. Is the vinotemp compressor or thermo?

I absolutely love it. Thing holds steady humidity like a boss. by cooling issue do you mean if humidity starts to accumulate inside, like it starts to "sweat"?

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Yeah its thermo. And I've never had a worry about moisture build up inside. I know some dudes who have and easy fix, just throw some extra beads in and they take care of that moisture

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
If your thinking a cabinet is in your future go with a giant cooler and start saving for a cabinet. I speak from experience now that I own 3 winecoolers.