What's new

Coolidor Size?

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
I'll make this brief - I'm about to make my first Coolidor. I want to be able to store 5-15 20ct boxes... I'm thinking a 48qt cooler will do just fine (Going to make this design: http://igloodor.com/igloodor-projects/budget-igloodor/ )

What do you guys think? I'm working on planning out boxes, but I'll probably get 2 or 3 from the start, and build up to around 10-12 boxes in the cooler... Will that guy do the trick?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Jeremy, I think you'll do just fine with that. Good to see you are planning for expansion. Most people go too small to start with. That being said, it's easier to keep humidity when things are closer to full. Shouldn't be so much of an issue with an igloodor, but still. I'm not a fan of their humidification choice, I'd go with beads instead, but other than that, you should be good. Be sure to post up some pics when done!

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Oh, yes, I meant I'm going with the vertical stack, wire racks (or I may just lay it down as normal) with a hygrometer on the door...

I'm planning on using a pound of HF beads, maybe a pound and a half... We'll see how a pound does then go from there.

I'm going to run by walmart and look for a 48qt -er, and then put a box or two in it once I get the beads and boxes... I've got 2 100 ct humidors, but those are mostly full of singles and 5 packs... Now that I'm starting to learn my cigars (or at least learn what I like) I want to start doing boxes and sittin' on them, and bigger humidors cost a TON!

Thanks for the input, I'll post pics as it progresses!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You can always get another cooler. All depends on the space you have available, what your purchasing plans are and, of course, your means. Space has a way of filling up. I personally like the standing up option with the wire racks. Of course, you can probably fit more if you just lay it down as the cooler is intended. Just makes getting to specific boxes more difficult.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
48 qt will easily accommodate 10-12 boxes depending on which way you place the cooler, what size cigar boxes or cabinets you purchase, and how good at tetris you are. Be sure to add extra empty boxes to take up space and help with RH bounces when you first get going. Better RH control etc.

70 qt Coleman Xtreme coolers I believe I get 16-20 boxes in there but I smoke mostly smaller size sticks.

150 qt I believe I get about 35-40 boxes in there.

All of my coolers I story horizontally. Vertically to me might make larger RH variance and I do not use cedar shelves. Those shelves take up too much room as I am loaded with boxes for plenty of cedar. You can still use cedar trays or tupperware without a top if you have a lot of singles.