What's new

Cooling off a Cabinet Humidor

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a cabinet humidor and was wanting to know if anyone has a better way of keeping it cool besides running the A/C all day (since that would cost an arm and a leg). Plus I'm not able to put a window unit in the room due to deed restrictions. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I know Fry's used to have a portable AC unit. You would have to vent the exhaust out of the room somehow, but that would work.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Ya I figured that, but what kind of cooling units are there for cabinets?

I know they have cooled humidor, but what they use to cool them. It looks like some type of fan, but I'm not sure.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Well, on the portable unit you would have a couple of options. I don't know where your cab is, but if it is in an enclosed room you could just feed the exhaust into another room. You could also try to just have the unit facing the cab. The mere fact that the AC is blowing onto the cab should make it a few degrees cooler, while the exhaust is blowing the other direction.

There might be better ways of cooling this, I was just thinking along the lines of cooling the area instead of putting in a cooling unit. I don't have a cab, o I haven't looked into all that stuff.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Might be cheaper + easier to get a wine cooler for summer / fall use and then transfer back to the cabinet during the winter months. I've seen these in the 30 bottle size for around $125 on sale.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you could install a thermoelectric unit. wont be cheap. you also would have to insulate the cabinet if you want the cooling unit to work well. you would also need a temp control for the cooling unit. you could easily spend $600 just on parts.