What's new

Cooling walk-in humidor

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Yeah, somewhat like what Rev was thinking there. If you set something up outside of it, just run a duct to the walk in itself. Like that floor roller unit someone posted, roll it into the room and have a duct cover the output and run into the humi.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What's your room outside the walk in like? Can you set up a portable AC unit outside the humidor and point it towards it?
What's your room outside the walk in like? Can you set up a portable AC unit outside the humidor and point it towards it?
Yeah I could do that. The room outside is the rest of the finished basement I would just have to install some ducting for the AC exhaust.
This is your best bet. I would try to get a remote temperature sensor inside your walk-in that you could use to control the portable AC unit outside the walk-in, and then just rig up some flexible ductwork to pipe the cool air into the walk-in.

The issue with mechanical cooling like that AC unit is not that they operate by removing humidity from the air, that just happens to be a by-product of their operation. The refrigerant removes the heat from the air, cooling it down below dew point, at which point condensation collects on the cold evaporator coil and drips down as liquid water (just like on a glass of ice water). Obviously this is a big issue inside a humidor, but if you are actually cooling down the air outside the humidor and pumping that cool air inside the humidor, you aren't really removing any humidity from your walk-in, just the room outside your walk-in. Since you will be adding pretty dry air back in to your humidor, your active humidification might work a little harder, but not nearly as much as it would if you were to have the AC unit in the humidor itself.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
A portable walk-in?
I can't decide if that's incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid. Perhaps both.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I think it is called "portable" because it installs very easily and is like 5-6 pieces. Not sure anyone would take it around, but if you did a lot of events it would be very practical to have something like this and the presentation is nice.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm sure the fact that it's not built into your house would be a selling point to somebody that wanted one at home. I'm guessing it's harder to sell a home with a walk-in humidor.

On the other hand, if I'm doing a walk-in... it's going to be a house I never plan on selling, and want to do it right.

Never even considered somebody doing events and such. That ups its value in my eyes.

... sorry for the derail.