What's new

Corncobs: Pros and Cons

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've only smoked a briar for the few years I've been smoking, but I've heard very few bad things about cob pipes. I've heard when made well they last a loooong time, smoke much cooler than most briars and at under ten bucks, you can really fill out your collection. I'm thinking of buying a couple and finding out what all the rage is. Anyone have thoughts?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a few corn cobs. I think they have there place in any pipe lovers rack.

The best thing is the price, loose one or break one and your out a couple bucks.

Cobs are great for trying out new blends, you can dedicate one to a blend which will help prolong its life.

As for smoking cooler I can't say I notice any diffrence, smoke gently and even thin walled pipes will smoke cool.

Cobs are not noted for lasting long, they tend to turn sour pretty fast, this is especially true if you smoke several blends in the same pipe. But again this isn't a big problem due to the cost.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke my cobs more than any other pipes I have. Just a couple of pointers for cob pipes I will offer....

- ALWAYS choose Missouri Meerschaum brand cobs, there is NO substitute.
- Filter-less or filtered, it's a personal choice but if you do decide to smoke with a filter be sure to change it after every smoke if changing tobacco brands/blends.
- Pack a cob a little more loose than you would a briar.
- Treat your cobs like you would your briar's. Keep it clean and it will serve you well for a long time. Contrary to what many believe, they are not "cheap pipes", but rather "inexpensive pipes".
- It's best to not build up a cake as you would in briar's. They will smoke cooler. A wadded up paper-towel twisted around the inside of the bowl after every smoke will do wonders.
- I highly suggest trying several different models to find what you like best.

Best of luck! :tu

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ive heard the only downside is to make sure they dry completely between smokes as they can get over soggy and fall apart

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really are no drawbacks to a cob. They smoke cool, sweet and dry, and cost next to nothing. They are perfect for a young beginner who doesn't want to spend a great deal of money on trying out pipes.

They are supposed to burn out eventually, but since I smoke them in rotation with briars and meerschaums—that is to say, seldom—no cob has ever bruned out on me.

I think they are one of the great bargains in history.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I smoked my one of my corn cobs today and it was a great smoke. Although i prefer a briar much much more a corn cob every once in a while is a nice change of pace.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Here is the only con I have found... The stem will break easy... Example dont leave it in your back pack and toss it around, wait its a cob no worries right.... Well the stem broke at the bend. The stems are plastic.... well I had a few stems around and found one that fit..now I have a cob with a vulcanite stem....