What's new

Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop - PToM Oct 2015 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

HAUNTED BOOKSHOP
Brand:
Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type: Burley Based
Contents: Burley, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Coarse Cut
Packaging: 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin, Bulk

From cornellanddiehl.com:

Another of the late Bob Runowski's blends, named in honor of the famous novel written by Christopher Morley. A Burley and VA blend with just a touch of Perique.​

Prior PToM reviews can be found HERE

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
To spice things up a bit this year, I'm going to start doing a little giveaway each month.
For each person that reviews the PToM, I'll add a half ounce sample to the pot, up to a max of 2oz. total. Then, at the end of the month, I'll draw a winner from the lot who posted reviews and send them their winnings. Just a little juice to hopefully boost participation. Reviews don't need to be in any special format or super in-depth, just let us know what you thought of the PToM, what you liked, what you didn't. Maybe what it reminded you of. Pictures are great, too. Just share your thoughts, enjoy, and have fun.
Cool draws & sweet smokes, Brothers!

REVIEWS:
@The Munt
@Deadman's Point
@thedismaltrade
@winston596
@Mr. Guy
@StogieJim

Last edited:

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well this will be easy, i tried it once before and really thought i liked it. Voted for it, tried it again (although it wasn't the same batch and i was way more sober) and i actually tipped it out half way. Am I the only one who thinks C&D blends are just brutal? I do tend to inhale alot though so probably why their blends ruin me quickly. I know this not the right way to pipe but i still fiend for the nic kick alot since i laid down the rollies.

I havent tried a C&D blend yet that hasnt knocked me off my chair and just been overwhelming even in flavour.. G L Pease blends are some of my favourite though and i know they make them. Perhaps its the moisture content in C&D that doesnt agree with me?

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I'm somewhat with you, Munt. I struggle getting through C&D crowd favorites such as Old Joe Krantz, Bayou Morning, and Habana Dream. They just dont burn right for me, and I can't quite put my finger on why. I really want to like this one though, so I'll be popping a tin I have laying around this month with my fingers crossed.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ordered a couple ounces of the bulk over the weekend, so I'm hoping to play along soon. Keep in mind though that based on the few tobaccos I have the review will likely be some where between pretty good, very good, wicked good, and holy balls that's good ;)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
After watching the most bizarre tracking route known to man, I finally got my bag this evening. The scent from the bag reminds me of a sweet yeast roll my good pal used to make using left over malt syrup after whipping up a batch of homebrew. Kind of makes me want to take a big ol bite!
I'm not even going to pretend to know what tobaccos contribute what to the flavor, but I get kind of a nice savory flavor, along the lines of stewed mushrooms, a distant sweetness and just a hint of spice that tickles the sinuses. The spice seemed to drop about mid bowl, but the rest of it hung in there. The yeast bread seemed to make the occasional appearance every few puffs. That, or those rolls are still on my mind. Definitely has a solid nicotine hit as well.
Over all, Haunted Bookshop gets a rating of Wicked Good!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Such good stuff. If you like a strong nic hit, this is for you!
Smells like bread and raisins out of the tin. Smokes sweet and spicy. Go ahead, inhale a few puffs. It'll wake you up! Sweetness disappears halfway down the bowl and your left with just a beautiful tobacco flavor the rest of the way.
Peppery through the nostrils and smooooooth all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This is one of my favorite night caps.
Get some!!