What's new

Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz 126 - PToM Nov 2014 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

OLD JOE KRANTZ
Brand: Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type: Burley Based
Contents: Burley, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring: None
Cut: Coarse Cut
Packaging: Bulk, 2oz Tin, 8oz Tin

"The blend was named in honor of my grandfather, who was also my pipesmoking mentor and role model. He primarily smoked burleys, like Union Jack and Edgeworth Sliced. I cannot think of a time when I didn't see him w/o one of his beat-up pipes and the aroma of pipesmoke around him. In any case, I was reading the reviews of Haunted Bookshop and Norm Musicant indicated that he liked more red virginia in his blends. Norm is someone whose opinion I respect. I was still looking for a simple hearty burley blend that could hold my interest all day. So, a new blend." -Bob Runowski

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

I received a 2013 jar of Old Joe Krantz from gracious Brother javajunkie, so there was no time like the present to pop the top. Thanks again, Sean!
Had my first couple days of this and was completely blown away by the unlit tobacco note. I swear it smells like I opened up a bag of RAISINETS!
Not quite so much while smoking, but then again I smoke way too fast and easy too hot. Need to keep working on that...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time taking part in the TOM reviews and picked up my tin of OJK specifically to play. The tin I purchased is dated April 2014. The initial tin note smells not unpleasantly like a slightly sour wine. The tobacco itself is ready to smoke and only slightly moist right out of the tin.

I have smoked three bowls of this now, two bowls from a briar and the bowl I'm smoking right now from a meer. What I can say about Old Joe is he is a crotchety old bastard. While I can taste the slight nuttiness of the burley and only a hint of the sweetness from the Virginia, the pepper of the perique comes on STRONG! I find this stuff pretty harsh overall with an ashy aftertaste. For me, OJK will be relegated to a garage smoke. Something I can puff on while doing other things when I'm craving a nic hit, but not necessarily a flavor bomb.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
OJK is a staple for me and mainly he's a one trick pony-- need some major vitamin N? Well, Old Joe will kick you right square in the nuts. Speaking of nuts, OJK delivers nutty burley with a good dose of very spicy perique- it's way more than a touch. Some sweet notes from the VAs pop here and there. Not much else to this blend. Grab your cob, coffee and OJK and you'll know why this combo is known as manly. Cheers~

Last edited: