What's new

Counterfeits

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
So, one of my poker buddies tells me his wife got him 5 Cohiba cigars inside a travel humidor for Christmas and described the humidor as looking like a tube. I asked where she got them and he didn't know, she couldn't remember. When he brought them in today to show me, I was immediately suspicious. The cigars had a pigtail with a regular Cohiba band, but the old style band. The band looked legit for the pre 2003 band. She could have gotten aged smokes, but I thought it would be odd for a vendor to send sticks pre 2003 in a fiver with a humidor. The thing that really got me was these were only 6 inches long, and Lanceros are 7 1/2 right? And Lanceros are the only regular line Cohibas that have a pigtail.

The travel humidor was actually nice. A metal tube with fine thread caps on each end. One end had a small humidifier, the other an analog hygrometer. Gold plating on the outside supposedly with leather trim, although it looked like vinyl to me. Not bad for a small travel humi.

I told him I think these might be fake, and he was a little bummed out. He told me she paid $160. When they get the CC statement, we'll know the vendor, but in the mean time she thought it might be a Swiss vendor. I checked all the ones I know and I couldn't find anything that looked like that travel humidor.

If you can offer any insights as to what vendor this might be let me know.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
tubaman said:
Yeah, I know.

I forgot, if I remember correctly, corona especiales also have a pigtail, but don't they come in cellophane?
Actually, they did come in cello in the 80's but a fiver of those would be alot more expensive then $160.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Fake or not, it's a hell of a gift!

I got a fake punch coronation tubo for Christmas, but i sure did'nt say anything about that... Aside from my thank yous.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Damn Kevin, those are the exact same cigars that I am sending you, I thought they looked a little off, oh well.... just kidding.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Kevin I just would have ignored Tom :rofl: I know I never would have remembered the answer :scratchhe But it's a good thing they turned out to be real.