What's new

Covid 19

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how many confirmed cases of Covid 19 have been confirmed in your area? The county in Texas I live in has a confirmed 16 cases at this time.We are pretty much shut down in this area.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Three confirmed cases in Lubbock, (Daughter is in college there at LCU) Two confirmed in Amarillo, Three suspected cases in Dumas, and one couple here in Sunray being tested. Reported that one of the couple works for Sunray ISD.

What part of Texas are you in?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Three confirmed cases in Lubbock, (Daughter is in college there at LCU) Two confirmed in Amarillo, Three suspected cases in Dumas, and one couple here in Sunray being tested. Reported that one of the couple works for Sunray ISD.

What part of Texas are you in?
There’s at least one in Alvarado too, heard about it earlier this past week...

As for confirmed cases here, idk - I haven’t heard anything about my county yet, but I’m also close enough to STL to know that it’s only a matter of time - for that matter, I would bet that it’s already in my town, but I also don’t worry about the numbers because I think the numbers are deceiving - they say you’re contagious before you get sick, and the numbers only represent confirmed cases, so of course the numbers are gonna jump radically at times. (Insert BOTL math joke here, lol)

As for keeping my family safe, I’ve taken a few measures to better ensure our safety and well-being, but the biggest thing has been reminding the kids to wash their hands before and after picking their noses. So, I’ve been posting notices all over the house to remind them, with this drawing:
C2195F00-E23A-40ED-9568-410BD70F4110.jpeg

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Louisiana has one of the highest per capita rates of the virus in the country. Seems like Mardi Gras was the perfect opportunity to share the virus.

Wife was told yesterday to plan to work from home for an indefinite amount of time.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Louisiana has one of the highest per capita rates of the virus in the country. Seems like Mardi Gras was the perfect opportunity to share the virus.

Wife was told yesterday to plan to work from home for an indefinite amount of time.
Probably for the best. You're retired, right?
My wife is freaking out about me having asthma, citing a compromised respiratory tract. I've been using so much hand sanitizer my fingertips are cracked and bleeding. I admit I'm getting pretty concerned. As small as my home town is, 10 square blocks in the middle of nowhere Texas, to have a suspected case this early is spooky.
What else can we do besides disinfect and pray? I wouldn't be surprised if my company quarantines two shifts out at the plant to work around the clock. We'll see.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, I am. That's part of the problem. My wife is home 24/7 now and she's upset about her job, her family, worried about me, just about everything she can be upset about, she's upset about it. I pray for patience and understanding but instead of email I must have sent my request snail mail!! It's warming up so I hope she can start with some swimming pool therapy and I'm going to start walking the dogs more often, maybe riding my bike more often.

Changing your daily routine is difficult for everyone.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
371 confirmed cases and a couple deaths here in Pennsylvania. Governor has all "non life-essential" businesses closed.
I'm sure this includes Famous Smokes, C.I., and my local B&M.

Me and the wife are cooped up. Both of us are fortunate enough to be telecommuting. One of my kids (in manufacturing) laid off Friday. Another can work from home.
@redneck_toy yeah I hear ya. The 35 years of cigarettes have left their mark on me. Literally . So I'm considered somewhat "compromised". I'm an old fart now regardless.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nearly 1800 confirmed cases here in WA and getting awfully close to 100 deaths. This will be the start of Week 3 of working from home. Panic buying has been coming in waves, but finding food has still been easy. I’m down to 2 rolls of TP though. Overflow hospitals being constructed for the inevitable overrun of hospitals.

Weather has been nice though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I don't think there has been very much testing in my area, 1 positive test so far, but am sure there are more out there.
We have enough food to last us at least a month. We used to get carryout a few times a week, but we have quit doing that and planning meals at home. We do make a list and add to it when we discover something we need and shop that list every 7-10 days early in the morning to avoid crowds.

Weather permitting I walk the dog a couple of times a day and work on the garden spot. I also have a nice stereo system and use it more often during rainy cold days. I limit myself on watching news programs to limited reliable sources and try to avoid sensationalized opinion news.

All in all, we have a simple plan to avoid contact with others, stay active around the house, eat at home and do our part to stay healthy. Basically the stuff those in the know are telling us to do. And keeping a cool head along the way. I have no complaints.

I am thinking tacos for dinner tonight and thinking about planning a neighborhood BBQ when things improve.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I don't think there has been very much testing in my area, 1 positive test so far, but am sure there are more out there.
We have enough food to last us at least a month. We used to get carryout a few times a week, but we have quit doing that and planning meals at home. We do make a list and add to it when we discover something we need and shop that list every 7-10 days early in the morning to avoid crowds.

Weather permitting I walk the dog a couple of times a day and work on the garden spot. I also have a nice stereo system and use it more often during rainy cold days. I limit myself on watching news programs to limited reliable sources and try to avoid sensationalized opinion news.

All in all, we have a simple plan to avoid contact with others, stay active around the house, eat at home and do our part to stay healthy. Basically the stuff those in the know are telling us to do. And keeping a cool head along the way. I have no complaints.

I am thinking tacos for dinner tonight and thinking about planning a neighborhood BBQ when things improve.
Is that neighborhood bbq extended to people in say, webb city?
But for real, we are pretty much doing the same, but doing home deliveries, there is not much i can do aside from wash my hands a lot and wear gloves. Face masks are only helpful to a point and the good ones are almost impossible to find.
You know damn well Lowes is not gonna stop sending us into homes because people gotta have that new floor or dishwasher right now.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
How long is this "Social Distancing" thing supposed to last?
My wife keeps trying to get back into the house.
You always make me laugh.

Might last late into the summer, Bondo. Might want to at least string up a tarp in the front (or back) yard to keep the midday sun off of her

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
My wife is using this social distancing as an excuse not to have sex with me...so f'n wrong!
Ha! My wife has lots of excuses not to have sex with me. At least you have a reasonable time frame to work with
My ex-wife was way ahead of her time with Extreme Social Distancing. Like moving out. :LOL:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most things are shut down here, 12 confirmed cases, 2 in the county below me and 80+ people in QT in their homes in my county including 1 in my neighborhood. I also got laid off from work and moved out of my dorm for rest of the year along with online classes.

nc_6789

Nick
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
This is the advice given to hospital staff.
It explains the virus and hopefully, how to prevent getting it.
Please share with family, friends and work colleagues.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus. If there is not enough water, the virus can pass into the trachea and from there to the lungs, where it is very dangerous.

For those who can, sunbathe. The Sun's UV rays kill the virus and the vitamin D is good for you.
The Coronavirus has a large size (diameter of 400-500 nanometers) so face masks can stop it, no special face masks are needed in daily life.
If an infected person sneezes nearby, stay 10 feet (3.3 meters) away to allow the virus fall to the ground and prevent it from falling on you.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.
The transmission of the virus usually occurs by direct infection, touching fabrics, tissues or materials on which the virus is present.
Washing your hands is essential.
The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.
You can gargle with disinfectant solutions (i.e. Listerine or Hydrogen Peroxide) that eliminate or minimize the amount of virus that can enter the throat. Doing so removes the virus before it goes down to the trachea and then to the lungs.
Disinfect things touched often: mobile phone, keyboard, mouse, car steering wheel, door handles, etc ....