What's new

Coyote Hunters

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Just wondering if there are any coyote hunters around here. I am a hunter in general but have really jumped on the varmint train this winter. I am probably not the only guy out there who goes into a little bit of withdrawal once the "big game" seasons end. With what was predicted (early on at least) to be another harsh winter on the deer populations, I decided to do my part and try to take out a few "fawn killers". To add to that, a friend who is a cattle farmer has been reporting seeing a ton of dogs this year. It must be in the up cycle for them.

To start, let me say that I am primarily a bow hunter. I own and have shot my fair share of rifles, but by no means do I consider myself a good rifle marksmen.

I wasn't able to bring my guns up with me to Canada this year so I have been shooting my friends TC 22-250. I was actually pretty excited to shoot this rifle as I have never shot one before and I have heard a lot of ranting and raving about how flat 22-250's shoot. I have also heard that they have unreal stopping power when it comes to the yotes.

So far I have been out about 3 of 4 full days (10 hours) and have been very successful calling in some dogs. We use a FoxPro electronic caller, with no real method of set ups other than playing the wind. So far between my buddy and I we have knocked down around 30. Like I said, he is a cattle farm and is always "carrying" so he has the advantage of being able to shoot them out of his pastures when he is feeding. I have taken 5 of those 30. My longest shot was 300 yards and I was impressed with myself. I won't lie, I have done my fair share of missing as well. Like I said, I am fairly inexperienced when it comes to rifle hunting.

Wondering if anyone else has had any luck.
What are you using for a rifle?
Calling system?

Best part is, we always sit back and enjoy a cigar after the end of the hunt and talk about the whole day and what we are going to do the next hunt.

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I don't do it often but I usually use a .306, only because I don't have too many options. I prefer to call in close enough to shoot a 12 gauge.

If you've knocked 30 over between the two of you, you're doing good.

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
We have a problem with the coyotes down here. We don't bow hunt without carrying at least a pistol with us since a hunting buddy was trapped in a stand a few years ago. We use a wounded rabbit call and a red light. I usually use my .270 when we hunt them. Ballistic rounds do a good job but have shot a few with a 9mm with hallow points as well. We have to thin them out every other year. As for the dogs it's not as fun but a few jack asses put in with the cows works here. Not kidding lol.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
They can be vicious little pricks thats for sure. It's funny because people always frown upon hunting them until one grabs a toy poodle from the neighborhood and then its "kill em all".

I forgot to mention the best part. The hutterites are paying $25 a coyote up here right now. They are getting $110 for them skinned and tanned. We've split the cash which has added to the "cigar allowance" the last couple months. BONUS!!!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I don't intentionally hunt them... But I'll drop one every opportunity I get if I see one while hunting deer or anything else...

Tagged one at about 50 yards a couple of years ago with my 7mm WSM...

Pretty interesting to see what an "elk gun" does to a 35 lb canine at close range :)

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Hehe. I dropped one with a 300 wssm last year. We'll dropped might not be the right term. Bet the hutterites wouldn't have paid for that one. Usually use the ar around the family land.

They come in for the chickens so I just sit on the deck with a cigar and fire away when they show.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hehe. I dropped one with a 300 wssm last year. We'll dropped might not be the right term. Bet the hutterites wouldn't have paid for that one. Usually use the ar around the family land.

They come in for the chickens so I just sit on the deck with a cigar and fire away when they show.
They might have to subtract a few bucks to sew a couple big holes hahahah

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Yote hunting is fun but we do not use guns. We use Argentina Dogos to flush them from their dens and then kill them. I have had some very neat experiences with yotes. In 2008 we had a female yote on one of our ranches that would take my dogs away from the yote den and lead the dogs to groups of hogs. This happened over and over for about 2 years then went silent. I have video of one of the hunts on my website. It was a very unique experience. I assume she was leading my dogs away from her young or she wanted food which we leave a bunch in the woods when we hunt.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Love it when they freeze up on the kill. Almost like a carnival game.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Gonna try and get out Sunday to do some more calling. Picked up a FoxPro Spitfire II so I want to give it a shot.
I'll try and throw some pics up if they aren't to graphic haha

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I love yote hunting get out every chance I get, only got a couple this year due to the extreme cold out side

but I use a FoxPro caller
Rifle of choice is a 204

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Another 3 went down yesterday and my buddy shot a fox that was chasing one of the triplet calves he just had.
A cold, cold day but it was fun non the less. I'll try and get the picture up later this afternoon.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
We have a problem with the coyotes down here. We don't bow hunt without carrying at least a pistol with us since a hunting buddy was trapped in a stand a few years ago. We use a wounded rabbit call and a red light. I usually use my .270 when we hunt them. Ballistic rounds do a good job but have shot a few with a 9mm with hallow points as well. We have to thin them out every other year. As for the dogs it's not as fun but a few jack asses put in with the cows works here. Not kidding lol.
Are you telling me a coyote trapped a hunter with a bow in a treestand? We are talking about 4 legged ones by you, and not the two legged ones by me... right? The 4 legged ones here run like their asses are on fire the second they hear a truck hit an unpaved road.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in Nevada I get to hunt yotes alot. I use my AR in 223 and carry my 12g for in close work. I usually hunt with my cousin and he shoots a 243. As far as call we also use a fox pro. Lots of fun and keeps the dogs down epically in our chukar hunting areas..

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Are you telling me a coyote trapped a hunter with a bow in a treestand? We are talking about 4 legged ones by you, and not the two legged ones by me... right? The 4 legged ones here run like their asses are on fire the second they hear a truck hit an unpaved road.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny cause I actually had 4 at the bottom of my tree stand howling at me one night at last light. I was a little worried at first until I realized I had 6 arrows in my quiver hahah Put an arrow in one and one of the other ones was stupid enough to hang out long enough for me to take him out too. The others went deeper in the bush and barked, howled and whimpered hahah Stupid mutts