What's new

Craigslist/Ebay Cigar Fails

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
http://lansing.craigslist.org/atq/3276021010.html

"THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS GIFT for the discriminating gentleman"
I wonder why they used to use brass?
This is an example of the style of humidor that was popular during the 1930's. The reason that I know is that I have a similar one that came down to me through the family from my Great Grandpa. My Grandma used to use it as a telephone stand.

I did some research on these and found out a couple of interesting facts. The high end ones actually used copper sheet, not brass. Most of them from that era (Great depression) are just copper colored steel sheet metal though. They just chemically treated it to turn it copper colored and make it look more expensive. The way to tell what they are is with a magnet. Apparently what they used to use for a humidifier was a clay brick soaked in water. The one that I have did not hold humidity very well so I sealed up the seams in the sheeting with silicone. It is still not as air tight as I would like it to be though so now I just use it as a nightstand.
I have something similar to this. It is called a smoking table. It has two detachable stand type deals flat on both ends to set where you are smoking and put an ashtray on top. It also is linned with brass. It is neat. I am considering getting it re-finished and lined with Spanish cedar.