What's new

Crazy Idea? Maybe.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Last night while typing away on the laptop, I was sitting in my office (which happens to be one of the extra bedrooms in the house) when I looked over at the closet and thought "That would make a great humidor". Dimensions are 2' deep, 6'-4" long, 8' high; cheezy 6-0 x 6-8 bi-fold doors and no electrical outlets close by. It's located on an interior wall, and the only stuff currently being kept in there can find another home.

So I'm thinking 1/2" closed cell foam on the existing drywall, 1/2" plywood frame, reduce ceiling height by 6" to allow for electrical (lights, humidification, and possibly temp control), 2-0 x 6-0 IG swing door in cedar accented by 1-0 x 6-0 insulated side lites on either side (these would be concealed by the cheezy bi-fold doors) and of course spanish cedar panelling throughout.

Am I insane? This would most likely not make a great selling feature for any future owners. It is however and interesting concept (that's probably not all that original). We would be talking about 100 cubic ft. of space that would require a GA Tech engineer to make full use. I just keep thinking "How cool would that be?"

So the questions before you are these:

What kind of humidifier/system would be needed for this volume?

What, if any, type of temp control systems are out there? Even ones for mini-wine cellars would do.

Would this, in fact, cost less than a divorce?

And finally, Have I lost my faculties?

Your replies most graciously received,
Brother Dub

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sounds good to me. I don't have much experience with custome enclosures such as that.

What kind of humidifier/system would be needed for this volume?
I would think something similar to what a cigar store uses.

What, if any, type of temp control systems are out there? Even ones for mini-wine cellars would do.
I've seen air conditioning units used but you might have some space restrictions to work within.

Would this, in fact, cost less than a divorce?
I would say with the new space and buying that is going to take place no. Otherwise, see Headbangers thread.

And finally, Have I lost my faculties?
Nah

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I think MoTheMan did this over at ClubStogie. Or someone has pictures of a closet they converted. Great idea though!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Its a great idea.

Mo did it on Club Stogie and it looks great. You can do alot of customization as well.

Definatley a good Idea. I would call Bob Stabell and talk to him about humidification devices. Then after that is just building it out to your specs.

Good luck !!!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you add temp control (I think you should), you'll be able to pass this off as a wine cellar for either your use or any future buyer.
Having a built-in humidor/wine cellar is a very attractive selling point.

sleepydoc

Gas Passer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What a great idea. Just walking in there in the a.m. would be better than a cup of java.

I'd love to see some before/during/after pics.