What's new

Credit card fraud

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
That sucks Ted!

I had my Amex number stolen, they bought a lot of crap but Amex was great. It's good to have an equifax account to keep track of your credit report.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I use my debit card and if they seem multiple charges within a certain period or other unusual activity they have an automated system call my house. I got the message one day after ordering 2 boxes of cigars, and then ordering a 3rd box the next day. I called the number back and punched in some info and approved the charges and then they went through.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
How are you making out Ted?
My recent payment was received so I can use the new card, but all the fraudulent charges are still on my account. I received an Affidavit form from my cc company to dispute the bad charges ... but I'm still waiting on my monthy statement. I then have to highlight the bad charges, fill out the form, have it notarized ($15 charge) and mail it back with my statement. I imagine this process will take another couple of weeks. What a bunch of BS! :tongueout

I think I'm going to shitcan this Citibank card and go back to American Express. The few times I had problems with AmEx charges, they were handled immediately over the phone or via their website.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Seems like a run around to me Ted. I've never had to do that, but you'd think the phone would work just as fine once they go through the security check to verify it's you.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
My recent payment was received so I can use the new card, but all the fraudulent charges are still on my account. I received an Affidavit form from my cc company to dispute the bad charges ... but I'm still waiting on my monthy statement. I then have to highlight the bad charges, fill out the form, have it notarized ($15 charge) and mail it back with my statement. I imagine this process will take another couple of weeks. What a bunch of BS! :tongueout

I think I'm going to shitcan this Citibank card and go back to American Express. The few times I had problems with AmEx charges, they were handled immediately over the phone or via their website.
Amex is the best for these type of problems. No questions asked...one phone call and ANY disputed charge is removed until proven to be valid!

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
True, I won't be responsible for all these bogus charges, but it's a real hassle as I'm now without the use of my cc for about 2 weeks. All these charges pushed the account over my credit limit, so I cannot even use my replacement card. My Jan payment was not scheduled to be sent until late next week and the bogus charges can't be removed until they receive a signed affidavit from me.
Sigh ...

A simple form letter they mail and just ask you to sign saying that you know nothing, did nothing involved with the bogus charge. This happen last year to me for about $750 at a Walmart in VA. I have no idea how this happened or the card was duplicated. It was my main charge card and one I never use online.

A hassle for now, but you will be taken care of and credited soon enough. Best of luck to you Ted.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Oh, never mind. Your credit card is doing different than mine did. Me and wife just signed and returned. The bogus charges were removed before my next statement came in.

Final thought Ted: Make damn sure they report this to the credit bureaus why a new card was issued. My card that got used bogus was 12 years old and the new card now has that nice long good history to stay with it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I feel for all you guys, but at least it was caught sooner than later.

When my brother and I lived together and where in college he had a credit card that he thought he had canceled. When he and his wife went to buy their first house he found out that someone had maxed it out and payments had never been sent in. Apparently when the card he had expired the credit card company sent a new one to the address where we use to live and some asshole decided to treat themselves until the money ran out.

He got it all straightened out but it was a very big hassle with trying to buy their first house.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It is good to have an equifax account or something similar that manages your credit reports and gives you alerts when balances change.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0

Wow, that is a lot of hoops to be jumping through.