What's new

[CRITICAL] Please Submit Your Comment Regarding the Proposed FDA Regulation of Cigars

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Please do NOT just copy/paste. They are throwing out any copy/paste, they want personalized responses. At least change a few words here and there, add a few of your own thoughts, pretend your back in high school trying to fake out the teacher.

So far I see only a little over 3k comments, that is NOT NEARLY enough to make a dent on these hot button issues. We have only a little time to try to save our most precious hobby from being struck from this world.

A few issues that are hot topics that need to be included in EVERY comment that goes to the FDA.

1. A retail price (after any discounts or coupons) of no less than $10 per cigar would effectively kill an industry as about 70% of the premium cigars in the market now are UNDER $10. There has NEVER been a Dollar amount associated with any requirement the FDA has ever been involved in. Allowing a Dollar amount sets a bad precedent for future FDA abuse. Who would stop them, at this point from applying that Dollar amount to other things, like Beef? Opens too many doors to abuse/misuse.

In this same statement they say that the $10 minimum can be increased every 2 years as needed. Also setting the industry up for failure at the hands of a govt agency.

2. The weight requirement of 6 pounds per 1000 units could eliminate smaller ring gauge cigars and should be considered to be removed.

This would mean that any petite corona, corona and possibly robusto would have to be submitted for FDA scrutiny.

The FDA has UP TO 2 YEARS to review any item submitted for approval. Can you imagine waiting 2 years for ANY NEW cigar under $10 or under a certain weight to be either Approved or NOT approved for release?

Example of what could happen (worst case scenario but still scary): Cigar Manufacturer submits new cigar in 2015 for approval....FDA sits on it for 2 years....doesn't take care of the samples, the samples get over run by beetles because they were sitting in some hot warehouse along with cigarette samples. FDA goes to review the product and rejects it because it has live bug larva in it. FDA then makes an amendment to the requirements and requires ALL cigars to be inspected because they don't want live bugs being shipped into the USA smuggled in cigars. Cigars go away.

3. Does not have a characterizing flavor other than tobacco

This is directly attacking companies like Drew Estate and CAO for their infused lines. The FDA needs to separate premium cigars from NON-Premium by the simple statement of WHOLE LEAF TOBACCO, LONG FILLER, made by combining manually the wrapper, filler, and binder.

Acid and Cao flavors are still premium cigars, they are NOT the same as Philly blunts and Black and Milds and should NOT be treated differently. Again this opens up too many avenues for the FDA to abuse and misuse these open ended statements they have produced in their deeming document.

4. Hidden away in the 241 page deeming document is another gem that will effectively KILL the cigar industry. NO samples!!!

This means cigar reps, out of work. They can no longer give samples to patrons, shop owners, etc. No more providing cigars for events (via the buy a box get 10 free).
This also means that events like IPCPR, Cigar Fest, etc...no more free cigars!?!?! This would effectively kill any boutique cigar companies out there because they wouldn't be able to allow B&M owners and patrons to try their product. Sure B&M owners would continue to buy stuff they already know is good, but they would think twice before taking on ANYTHING they would deem a risk.

The whole document is so bloated with legal jargon (like ANY GOVT Document) so that we as consumers will get 2 to 3 pages in and GIVE UP. That is what they want us to do. To lay down and TAKE IT so they can effectively KILL tobacco as a whole. WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND FIGHT! If you haven't made a comment, please do it now.

You can go to this site, read more and submit through links provided.

http://www.blindmanspuff.com/c...ts-fda-deeming-rule/

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fwiw, 6lbs p/1000 will not be an issue… HANDMADE CIGARS measuring 4 x 32 - the typical size of handmade tinned cigars - typically weigh 6.5lbs to 7.2lbs per/1000 units.

I am not sure if it is amazing or pathetic that I actually know this…

So handmade petite coronas, coronas, slederellas, etc. all weigh over the weight requirement.

BR,

STS

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I am not sure if it is amazing or pathetic that I actually know this…
Yes. Heh.

So handmade petite coronas, coronas, slederellas, etc. all weigh over the weight requirement.
I was actually really concerned about this. Someone else pointed out that at least most coronas would be over the weight requirement, but it's reassuring to know that if that part sticks, I can still enjoy my favorite snack sticks. I'd be bummed to lose my Papas Fritas or Illusione Rexes!