What's new

Crossing into Canada

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
When I lived in Northern MN, we would cross back and forth all the time into Canada, they didn't care,( but we were hunting, fishing ) just tell them, where u will have Issues is getting back in the US, Have all your info , be ready to be searched, Hell maybe enjoy it .....
Good Luck with that .............

Last edited:

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Why do you need a gun in Canada? You hunting? Fishing?

I feel safer in Canada than I do Pennsyltucky.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Gale,

Don't chance it. It is s federal crime, not a local one in Canada. Remember, if they search you, you are screwed. Add in that you can also be searched when you come back thru to the US. If may or may not be a Fed crime in the US, depending if someone wants to play. You really don't want the hassle if you get caught.

Personally, I wouldn't chance it. But your call.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-fskZimu4"]You win some, you lose some... But you live to fight another day! - YouTube[/ame]

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now if you would've told us that you were going to stick the pistol into your waistband we would've said "Go for it!" because they'll never check there.:grinFU:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I understand the difference in that once used to having that assurance with you it is tough to not have it. Only thing is rules are very different here. There are many Canadians who would love the opportunity to carry but for most it is an alien concept. Stay out of the sketchy neighborhoods and you should be fine.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Interestingly enough, I just finished up some training provided by USCPB (Customs and Border Protection) yesterday. You probably don't have to worry too much about being searched crossing northbound. Coming back, however, is a whole different story. Trust me when I say that there is very nearly no such thing as a "random search", no matter what you are told by whom, or what "official policy" you may come across. Most of the people who are searched get to experience that as a result of their answers to interview questions, the appearance of something being "not quite right", or just on a hunch. These officers, (don't call them border patrol, that's a different agency), are highly trained to pick out the smallest inconsistency, and to spot the smallest abnormality. Here's the really fun part: If a CBP officer wants to move up in pay grade in the agency, the best way to do it is to get lots of drug or weapon seizures. They are actually incentivized to bust you. You might get lucky, or you might get very unlucky. If I were you, I'd leave the gun at home. Last I heard, baseball bats are still legal to cross with.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Only been up there twice and was randomly searched one of the times. My buddy and I were just in a Volkswagon Jetta we didn't look conspicious or anything. They looked through the car a little bit and looked through our bags real quick then let us through. The car next to us was all ripped apart, so we were shiatting ourselves at first because I think we had a few too many bottles from duty free! :bottle:

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Not intending to pile on, and meant with all due respect. But, bringing a handgun into Canada is dumb. Asking for our help committing that federal crime is a whole new level of stupid.

SuprHasan

I'm finished with cigars
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I say DO IT!! That way we can point and laugh when we see you on the next episode of COPS - Dumb Criminals Edition.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts, but...

I'll be crossing the Canadian border near Niagara Falls in a few months and I'm planning on take a side arm with me. I always travel with a gun, or at least when I travel by road in the CONUS.

What is border security like at the Canadian Border?

I am expecting to have a fella come up to the window of the truck and ask if we have any drugs, firearms, etc. Obviously the answer would be NO.

My sidearm would tucked at the bottom of my backpack.

Am I right in assuming that a vehicle and person search will be completely random, unless i do something stupid like start yelling Bomb or soemthing like that.

And just so we're clear, I am well aware of the major pain-in-the-neck hassles that would be associated with getting caught with it, so we don't need to hash that out. I just need to know what the border patrol is like.

Thanks in advance. :assaultri
So I cross there all the time as my company is based in Buffalo NY. You are crazy to even be considering this.