What's new

Crowned Heads 729 Calloway ln

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Beautiful dark brown, smooth, oscuro wrapper with nearly invisible seams, no veins, a smooth cap and hard bunch.

Even burn, flat coal, strong, grey ash and a perfect draw with ample smoke volume and a fragrant aroma and no burn in the throat.

Flavor was of ample richness, perfect balance of herbal and woody flavors, medium strength and generous flavor and body.

A light sweetness, no bitterness, burn on tongue, sharpness or saltiness.

Overall, an outstanding cigar with elegant character.

Total score is 98 out of 100

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize that it is hard to describe a flavor or feeling while doing a review...but a cigar having an "elegant character"???
I use a personally modified version of a form from another forum used for blind and magazine reviews, and thats simply on of the options in one of the sections.

I simply chose what fits best as I fill out the form while smoking the cigar for real time information

I friggin' LOVE cigars

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I've only had a few different Crowned Heads too, but have really enjoyed them all.

A little surprised by the negative comments on them.

Apparently I'm in the minority

I friggin' LOVE cigars
Don’t think you’re in the minority regarding Crowned Heads. Up until a couple of years ago I have been impressed with pretty much everything they put out with only a few exceptions.

The last couple of years they have put out so many different lines though that I have no idea what is good or bad anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Don’t think you’re in the minority regarding Crowned Heads. Up until a couple of years ago I have been impressed with pretty much everything they put out with only a few exceptions.

The last couple of years they have put out so many different lines though that I have no idea what is good or bad anymore.
Not only that, but a couple of the lines I really enjoyed seem to have lower quality now than a couple years ago. Long Live the King used to be a favorite, the last couple orders they have been disappointing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not only that, but a couple of the lines I really enjoyed seem to have lower quality now than a couple years ago. Long Live the King used to be a favorite, the last couple orders they have been disappointing.
Interesting perspective.

I have no idea really of when the ones I have had were made, but recall the cellophane being completely clear, so I would assume that they were recent production, and i enjoyed them.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Interesting perspective.

I have no idea really of when the ones I have had were made, but recall the cellophane being completely clear, so I would assume that they were recent production, and i enjoyed them.

I friggin' LOVE cigars
Certainly two+ year old cigars can still have clear cello, so not sure that you can make any meaningful comparisons.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Certainly two+ year old cigars can still have clear cello, so not sure that you can make any meaningful comparisons.
Just going by what I've noticed but without paying specific attention to it, is that it typically remains clear under the 5 year mark, at which point some yellowing seems to begin. So you are certainly correct and they may have been up to five years old easily.

I'm sure there have been exceptions as i never payed specific attention to it

I friggin' LOVE cigars

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That’s Caldwell, not Crowned Heads, which have always been hit or miss for me. I enjoy LLTK when it’s on (and I totally dig the artwork on that one!) but about 50% have fireproof wrappers. Like Alec Bradleys in the worst of times.

I’ve no real idea what’s going on overall with Crowned Heads, but Mil Dias was/is an excellent cigar, and I still enjoy the regular Four Kicks.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Interesting perspective.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

The 729 Calloway Lane Cigar was released in July of 2016 (7/29/16). It was a limited run of 200 boxes of 10 for a total of 2000 cigars and was an exclusive for Cigar Federation. There has never been additional production or a re-release that I am aware of.

I would have to look it up again but I think the backstory is that it was put out as a celebration of the birthday of the daughter of one of the main guys at Cigar Federation. Her date of birth is 7/29 and her name is Calloway Lane.

I still have a box of these that I bought when they came out with the intention of flipping it some day. It is such an obscure release now though that no one even knows what they are, much less wants to collect them.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 729 Calloway Lane Cigar was released in July of 2016 (7/29/16). It was a limited run of 200 boxes of 10 for a total of 2000 cigars and was an exclusive for Cigar Federation. There has never been additional production or a re-release that I am aware of.

I would have to look it up again but I think the backstory is that it was put out as a celebration of the birthday of the daughter of one of the main guys at Cigar Federation. Her date of birth is 7/29 and her name is Calloway Lane.

I still have a box of these that I bought when they came out with the intention of flipping it some day. It is such an obscure release now though that no one even knows what they are, much less wants to collect them.
It's my understanding from reading that it was re-released in 2017 as well.

You are correct on the backstory from what I've read. It was for the head of cfed's daughters birthday.

I friggin' LOVE cigars

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
That’s Caldwell, not Crowned Heads, which have always been hit or miss for me. I enjoy LLTK when it’s on (and I totally dig the artwork on that one!) but about 50% have fireproof wrappers. Like Alec Bradleys in the worst of times.

I’ve no real idea what’s going on overall with Crowned Heads, but Mil Dias was/is an excellent cigar, and I still enjoy the regular Four Kicks.
I'm such a boob, reading is apparently not my strong suit. :LOL:

I've got limited experience with Crowned Heads, but have enjoyed the Las Calaveras, Mil Dias and Headly Grange. A couple of "mehs" with some of the other lines, so I definitely get what you're saying.