What's new

Crowned Heads La Imperiosa Review - CoM Mar 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
BOTL - Nice to see people diggin' on La Imperiosa....kinda makes me 'scratch my head' when I compare this feedback to the recent "81" (slammed) rating I read online earlier this morning....

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
I'm sure it was my long winded review that you're showing such appreciation for. I'll try to be shorter next review!

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

The cold draw had some pepper as well as earthiness. It was also a bit of a laboured draw. I cut it a second time with no change, but it was not anything that would ruin the experience.

First third - has a floral, almost fruity flavor with a perfect amount of black pepper. The retro has a twinge of coffee that I don't experience otherwise.

Middle third - pepper is still present, but a bit more coffee and earth flavors show up. Also the smoke is becoming more creamy

Final third - it gets more peppery, more creamy, but the earthy flavor seems to be subsiding.

I don't understand how people say the LC14 is "soooo much better" than the La Imperiosa... They are almost identical, with the LC14 being a tiny bit smoother as it has a full year head start aging in the humi.

I really like this stick, but then again, I'm really digging the Crowned Heads lineup from to to bottom.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This will be a short one. Smoked my first La Imp last night. It was delicious with creamy smoke thick with cocoa flavor throughout. Small amounts of spice drifted in and out, but never stayed very long. Very enjoyable - I can see why this is a popular stick.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I love this blend. I've smoked through over a box since they were released & could probably do a review from memory...but what's the fun in that?

Went with the Corona Gorda (5.7 x 46) tonight.

The wrapper is a really deep, rich brown that's complimented nicely by the teal band. Seams are nearly invisible but there are a few rather pronounced veins. The pack is full, yet still has a little give.

Straight cut. Draw is excellent.

First light immediately yields a big smack of pepper - it's on the draw & the finish & lingers well into the next puff. The spicy intensity tones down after just a minute or two with an earthy core & rich tobacco making themselves known. The flavors immediately land in the med-full level.

Once the stick warms up and really gets going through the first third & into the halfway point, a sweetness is present that I'd describe as dark fruit. There's also a creaminess that helps round round out the pepper which is still present on both the finish & retro. The earth component hasn't gone anywhere either & is joined by a bitter (in a good way!) dark chocolate.

The end of the smoke doesn't let up on flavor. It's rich & complex. Smoke production is excellent with the strength now at a level that you can't ignore. Not a knock you on your butt nic-kick, but it joins the flavor in the med-full/full range. The tastes that close out the smoke shift most noticeably in the sweetness department for me. It's no longer fruity, but more of a rich sweetness. (Toffee? Caramel right before it turns?) All the other flavors are comparable to the middle, just turned up. More intense.

There's nothing I don't like about this smoke. Tons of flavor throughout, construction you don't have to ever be concerned with, mouthfulls of chewy smoke from begging to end, & a pretty reasonable price point for the quality. This has been a staple in my humidor since it came out & I don't see that changing any time soon.