What's new

"Cuban blends" in local B&M

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Stopped in my local B&M last night to browse and right in the middle of all their normal sticks, they had two generic boxes of unbanded cigars with paper signs on the box, labeled "Cuban blend Monti #2" for ~$23 each. When I asked what was the deal with these, the employee at the shop said the owner was overseas and brought back some cigars. I was skeptical and chose not to purchase, especially at $22 each. But I'm Just wondering how often this practice is employed.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Well these are clearly Monte #2 seconds........

Honestly, I dont know. I would almost have to laugh at the scenario. These may be hand rolled "cuban seed" cigars?

Did the employee say where exactly he went when the owner went "Overseas"?

I think you did the right thing by not buying into the $23 hype.

Hes probably hoping to catch some uneducated buyers passing through, in hopes to make a quick buck.

my 2 cents,
-Chrisso

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
"Cuban Blend" could mean anything. Rocky Patel has a cigar by that name. It's probably a JR knockoff or something.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a B&M that is not worth your time and money. And if they are trying to sell them as Cuban I would imagine could be a shop that would have some legal problems. With so many great shops out there it's the shops with shady things like this that make a bad name for B&Ms.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I was already pissed at them as soon as I walked in the door... My best friend is new to cigars and enjoys the acid line. When we walked in, my buddy asked where the acids were and the employee snickered and said, "Oh the chick sticks? They're over here."
What and incredibly rude thing to say to a customer! I do most of my purchasing online, and usually only go in there when I'm out without a smoke. However I have sat down in there a couple times for 1-2 hours while smoking and never had a problem.
The store was Cigarz in Waterford lakes.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Sounds like a B&M that is not worth your time and money. And if they are trying to sell them as Cuban I would imagine could be a shop that would have some legal problems. With so many great shops out there it's the shops with shady things like this that make a bad name for B&Ms.
THIS^^^^^ Plus with the "Chick Stick" remarks, this doesn't seem like a place I would want to be.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Advertising product even in B&M's isn't sacred when it comes to moving them and making money. If the B&M were actually selling 'cubans' then they take a risk of losing that business and more than likely it's a ploy of selling "cubanesque" cigars that are leading uneducated cigar people into maybe believing that part of the cigar has 'cuban' tobacco...either way the sales approach is borderline false and if this B&M was in my area I wouldn't go there.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
You can't hold the 'chicks sticks' comment against him. I'm sure that's a lot nicer than what I'd say if I was asked about those.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Stopped in my local B&M last night to browse and right in the middle of all their normal sticks, they had two generic boxes of unbanded cigars with paper signs on the box, labeled "Cuban blend Monti #2" for ~$23 each. When I asked what was the deal with these, the employee at the shop said the owner was overseas and brought back some cigars. I was skeptical and chose not to purchase, especially at $22 each. But I'm Just wondering how often this practice is employed.
It's not new by any means, you can read about my similar experience here: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/116-The-Goonies-Experience-New-cigar-shop

Since then I've been to several B&M's that have BOR (back of room) "cuban cigars" for sale but passed.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I was already pissed at them as soon as I walked in the door... My best friend is new to cigars and enjoys the acid line. When we walked in, my buddy asked where the acids were and the employee snickered and said, "Oh the chick sticks? They're over here."
What and incredibly rude thing to say to a customer! I do most of my purchasing online, and usually only go in there when I'm out without a smoke. However I have sat down in there a couple times for 1-2 hours while smoking and never had a problem.
The store was Cigarz in Waterford lakes.
One of the many reasons I don't go there anymore.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You can't hold the 'chicks sticks' comment against him. I'm sure that's a lot nicer than what I'd say if I was asked about those.
I smoked one a while ago and I didn't enjoy it at all. Also, I whole heartedly agree that they're not really suited for us cigar snobs (I mean that in a good way!) However, I would never belittle, insult or imasculate a potential customer.

As for the "Cuban blend" cigars- At first I thought it was kinda cool that the owner is taking such a risk to provide for customer's desires.
My second and probably much more accurate impression is that they are a scam of some sort. It's the perfect way for a shop to trick you into buying something without telling you exactly what it is. They really could be "Cuban blends" look at how many of those already exist, and by labeling them as such, they're not lying. And when a customer asks for clarification they can beat around the bush since they can't say "oh they are cuban Montecristos." plus it's not like you can ask to see the bands or a box. Definitely fishy! On top of everything, they didn't even spell Monte right, lol!!

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Based on what I've read, I would never walk into that shop again.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been to this B&M before but didn't have an issue with any of the employees. In fact they kept totally to themselves and didn't offer any assistance. Didn't bother me. Lounge is nice. The Cuban blends sound fishy. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the workers was trying to pull one over as the owner has been in the business for years (he used to have a shop in the Oviedo Mall) and should know better. I think he has another store down by Universal.