What's new

Cuban Chocolate Legal but not the cigars?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I went to the fancy pants chocolate place in town yesterday and I saw some Cuban chocolate. I asked about the legality about such things and I was told because it was processed in france and only the pants were grown in cuba that it was somehow made legal. I am curious about the legality about such things. Seems as if that was true that it would be legal to export the tobacco and have it rolled in some other country. Oh well, rant is over ...that being said the chocolate was quite nice.......would possibly be good trading material:halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
It probably falls in the same category as cuban tobacco seeds, grown in Nica or elsewhere. I imagine trying to buy the cocoa plant would be illegal.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
It probably falls in the same category as cuban tobacco seeds, grown in Nica or elsewhere. I imagine trying to buy the cocoa plant would be illegal.
+1. I can't imagine anything actually grown/made in Cuba is legal in the US. If the worker is correct, maybe they are just exporting the chocolate to the US by saying French chocolate, then letting retailers know it's from cuban cocoa.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I got myself on IT's watch list in work in the uk because I looked up the exchange rates on the bank of Cubas website. Apparently all sorts of warnings popped up on our American It department because I communicated with an embargoed country.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Technically, the chocolate would be illegal... and here's why:

31 CFR § 515.204 Importation of and dealings in certain merchandise.
(a) Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or any person, agency, or instrumentality designated by him) by means of regulations, rulings, instructions, licenses, or otherwise, no person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States may purchase, transport, import, or otherwise deal in or engage in any transaction with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise:

(1) Is of Cuban origin; or

(2) Is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) Is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba.

And just as important:

§ 515.410 Dealing abroad in Cuban origin commodities.
Section 515.204 prohibits, unless licensed, the importation of commodities of Cuban origin. It also prohibits, unless licensed, persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting or otherwise dealing in commodities of Cuban origin which are outside the United States.

Seeds may be a bit of a different story, I'd imagine, but I'm just speculating.

If I take Cuban seeds and grow them in Nica, it would seem that the plant that grew would be derived from an article of produce of Cuba, and the sale of the leaves (whether or not in the form of a cigar) is probably illegal in the US.

But that said... if I take those seeds, grow a plant in Nica, then harvest the seeds from that plant and replant them in Nica, is it still a Cuban seed? Seems to me that the seed es de Nica, but it's still a derivation from Cuba.

Food for thought...

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we all know that Cuban chocolate is far superior to Nicaraguan or Dominican chocolate. Sometimes I cant get the wrapper off though. My chocolate should be ready to eat after just a few more years in my fridge...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we all know that Cuban chocolate is far superior to Nicaraguan or Dominican chocolate. Sometimes I cant get the wrapper off though. My chocolate should be ready to eat after just a few more years in my fridge...

HAHAHAHA! I see what you did there! LOL.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Technically, the chocolate would be illegal... and here's why:

31 CFR § 515.204 Importation of and dealings in certain merchandise.
(a) Except as specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Treasury (or any person, agency, or instrumentality designated by him) by means of regulations, rulings, instructions, licenses, or otherwise, no person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States may purchase, transport, import, or otherwise deal in or engage in any transaction with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise:

(1) Is of Cuban origin; or

(2) Is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or

(3) Is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba.

And just as important:

§ 515.410 Dealing abroad in Cuban origin commodities.
Section 515.204 prohibits, unless licensed, the importation of commodities of Cuban origin. It also prohibits, unless licensed, persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting or otherwise dealing in commodities of Cuban origin which are outside the United States.

Seeds may be a bit of a different story, I'd imagine, but I'm just speculating.

If I take Cuban seeds and grow them in Nica, it would seem that the plant that grew would be derived from an article of produce of Cuba, and the sale of the leaves (whether or not in the form of a cigar) is probably illegal in the US.

But that said... if I take those seeds, grow a plant in Nica, then harvest the seeds from that plant and replant them in Nica, is it still a Cuban seed? Seems to me that the seed es de Nica, but it's still a derivation from Cuba.

Food for thought...
In regards to the "seeds" question, there is a Cuban cigar update put out by OFAC that clarifies this issue. http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

According to the text from the document in the link....

Cigars Produced from Cuban Tobacco Seed

OFAC does not consider cigars produced from tobacco grown and harvested
in a third country from Cuban seeds to constitute a growth
or product of Cuba. Therefore, the Regulations do not
prevent transactions or dealing in those products by
persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States,
as long as there is no interest of Cuba or a Cuban
national, direct or indirect, in the sale of such cigars.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
.........:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
.........:thumbsup: