What's new

Cuban cigars with 58% bovedas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I’m a Noob to the forum. Having fallen down the Cuban cigar rabbit hole, a local B&M said that using the 58% bovedas would be just fine for storage. When I say storage I mean I have several 2019 and 2020 boxes which I plan to rest to the two year mark after which I will start regularly smoking thereafter. Long term doesn’t interest me, as I would gladly pay more to enjoy someone else’s efforts.
here in New England the temps in my humidor hover at 60 degrees in winter. 70 in summer. I keep my Cubans in the original boxes with the nail removed, or the clasp undone, or the slb cracked a little in a wineador. I’m also storing a few en tubo because the nose of my punch punch tubo is divine.

I’ve perused the internets and asked a few seasoned professionals to no clear answer.
The question is: would it be good to place 58% little bovedas in each box? Is this better in winter but not in summer? Does that even matter? Would it benefit aging?

any advice would be great.
thanks
Steve

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
58% sounds really low. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable with that, especially for long(er) term storage. My Cubans are stored at 65% and I have no issues. I know there are some that prefer 62% but that’s the lowest I’ve ever heard or seen. Of course ymmv so take that with a grain or two of salt.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'd recommend not because you aren't giving yourself any wiggle room if drops any lower. I use 69% but I'm reading at 62 right now, which seems to happen in the wintertime. Any reason why you want to use 58 instead of upper 60's/low 70's?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason in particular other than the bovedas were at the cigar store, this was the only % they had, and the shop owner said it was ok. When I got home I realized my conundrum, I asked again with the same response, and a few internets said 58-60 was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
58% is lower than what most people use. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong, though. I use 65% myself, but my temperature stays at 65 degrees. If you’re temperature in the winter averages 60, then 58 probably isn’t bad. If your temp raises substantially in the warmer months, you could change to a higher percentage then if you wish. Bottom line is, people use a wide range of percentages, and if it gets you the results that you want, you’re fine.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No reason in particular other than the bovedas were at the cigar store, this was the only % they had, and the shop owner said it was ok. When I got home I realized my conundrum, I asked again with the same response, and a few internets said 58-60 was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i mean, ya, they aren't going to dry out at 58, if you already bought them you're probably good.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I absolutely overload the Bovedas in my storage. I have 6 or 7 in every cooler. At 4 bucks a piece, they’re too cheap not to take advantage of. Humidity never fluctuates more than a degree or two from 69% (nice!) even in an area with 90+ degree summers and single-digit winters when stored in my basement. If a few get crunchy when it’s cold, I just take them out for a couple weeks and recharge them.

This has been a reliable system for years and years when resting CCs. I could probably be talked into going to 65%, but I would not personally go any lower than that.

Bottom line: use a couple more than you think you need and trust them

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I’ve been using 58% in my CC wino for the past two years with excellent results. With stock moving regularly I’m usually around 60%. No burn issues, never have to dry box. Feels like I have far fewer plugged smokes or sticks with a tight draw.

To each their own or course. At 65% I was having a difficult time keeping many of my CCs lit without drawing too frequently or too deeply for my liking.