What's new

Cuban vs NonCuban cigar brands

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to post a question for those of you who smoke, or at least have tried both the Cuban and NonCuban versions of the same brand (RyJ, Partagas, Montecristo, Punch, etc).

Are there any similarities between the cigars, other than the brand name?

I know that obviously, since the NC versions are produced elswhere, the flavor must be different, and they don't necessarily make the same vitolas as the Cubans, but still - do the NC manufacturers try to match the Cuban versions or is it something completely different?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
have not had enough CC to truly qualify on that side, but have slight familiarity, and am versed in most of the non's, so for what's it's worth: apples to oranges.

they might have tried to reproduce the general feel of a brand, but you are not really getting the experience rocking general's cohiba, or altadis's monte.

they are not bad cigars, and you should try for yourself. consider it like a movie remake. it can be done well, at times, and it can be done just to cash in on a franchise, but it is hard to separate the new from comparison with the original.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
When I first started heavy into this hobby I wondered the same thing and the answer I found out myself was absolutly not!
No CC I've ever had taste like it's NC counterpart.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I would agree with the points above... I have only had very limited CC experience, enjoyed them a hell of alot more than the NC versions...

Flavor profile is way different!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm going to put an end to this debate forever:

CCs: Good
NCs: Bad

/Thread
When talking about these same-named cigars (Montecristo, etc), I think that is largely true. There are a few decent NCs with current Cuban names (Punch, a couple Partagas), but most are just average at best.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As has been stated previously, there's not even a remote similarity between the two.

I get the feeling that the NC versions exist strictly as a marketing ploy. Those that trademarked and registered these brand names in the U.S. did so only to secure the licensing rights, just in case the embargo is done away with.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to put an end to this debate forever:

CCs: Good
NCs: Bad

/Thread
With all due respect to all that agree with this...you are comparing the two, CC vs NC, in taste because they have the same name. There is no comparison. CC and NC taste different. The only thing in common is the name.

I have smoked plenty of CC's and can say they are good. I have smoked plenty NC's and can also say they are good. Good, but different. The NC's are a marketing ploy, do not taste like the CC's, but there are some (CC's and NC's) that taste good and I enjoy smoking.

Which one is better? No clear favorite in my book. They both taste good.

To answer iergeni's original question, if the NC manufacturers do try to match the Cuban versions, they fail miserably. And YES it is something completely different.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yes...the silimarities are astounding.

Both are made from buched rolled up tobbacco
Most have a paper band on them
Most come in decorative boxes
Most rquire one end to be cut
and all require fire to enjoy.

Other than that...worlds apart

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cigar industry may be the only one to tolerate trademark infringement on such a commercial scale. If you built cars in your garage and called each a Rolls Royce, how long until you got a knock at your door by a British lawyer or local dissatisfied customer?

If its not a Cuban made, it is not the cigar you would have liked it to be.