What's new

Cuban vs NonCuban cigar brands

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
As far as comparing CC versus NC within their brand names, there are very few similarities.

Note though, that the NC products are not trying to imitate the flavor profiles of a CC...They simply own the rights to the brand, and are creating cigars under that name.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cigar industry may be the only one to tolerate trademark infringement on such a commercial scale. If you built cars in your garage and called each a Rolls Royce, how long until you got a knock at your door by a British lawyer or local dissatisfied customer?

If its not a Cuban made, it is not the cigar you would have liked it to be.
unless there was a trade embargo with the UK, and you had bought the brand from the (previously) rightful owners.

also, I thought the (previously) Cuban brands were sold under their Cuban names only in the US.

one thing for sure; if (when) the embargo is dropped, the litigation will be like unraveling a bowl of spaghetti :smokingme

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Anyone ever come across an article related to cuban trademarks and the eventual litigation issue? If so, send me a link because I'd love to read it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been stated previously, there's not even a remote similarity between the two.

I get the feeling that the NC versions exist strictly as a marketing ploy. Those that trademarked and registered these brand names in the U.S. did so only to secure the licensing rights, just in case the embargo is done away with.
This, on one hand, makes sense.

On the other - I think it's safe to say that cigar smokers want to buy quality cigars rather than brand names. So if/when the embargo is lifted, all the Cubans have to to is re-brand the cigars for the US market and there we go.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I'm not sure I agree with Cuban brands having to re-brand, as they have been around on the global markets for, sometimes, more than a century. They are recognized around the world. I know nothing about copyright law, but seems silly for the original Cuban brands to have to re-brand.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, it is silly, but there is also the question as to who is the true owner of the brand name - the Cuban nationalized tobacco industry or the pre-revolutionary brand-owner from whom the factories were siezed by the government. Etc etc.

Moreover, the brand recognition on the US market could also be a little distorted thanks to Bon-Cuban made Cuban brands (Partagas, H Upmann, etc), meaning smokers of NC-made brands are used to, and seek, something very different from Cuban-made cigars. From this point of view it might actually make more sense to re-brand (for the US market only), regardless of the copyright issues.

JGD

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The cigar industry may be the only one to tolerate trademark infringement on such a commercial scale. If you built cars in your garage and called each a Rolls Royce, how long until you got a knock at your door by a British lawyer or local dissatisfied customer?

If its not a Cuban made, it is not the cigar you would have liked it to be.
True, but you also have to keep in mind that Altadis owns 50% of Habanos S.A., and they also own the rights to the NC brands of H. Upmann, José Piedra, Montecristo, Quintero, Romeo y Julieta, and Siglo Limited Reserve (which are marketed in simular packaging to Cuban Cohibas).

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Of course, it is silly, but there is also the question as to who is the true owner of the brand name - the Cuban nationalized tobacco industry or the pre-revolutionary brand-owner from whom the factories were siezed by the government. Etc etc.
This brand theft goes both ways. Cohiba and Trinidad are both POST-revolutionary brands, and lo and behold there are NC version of both of those. (Although the NC Trinidad is by Altadis, so I suppose that's "in the family". I don't think General has any rights to Cohiba, however.)