What's new

Cubans overrated?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a week in Aruba last month and the Cigar Emporium in the Rennaisance Mall had lots to choose from. I tried the Cohiba maduro, Hoyos...several other and I couldn't wait to get home to my humidor. The only maduro to be found was the $26 Cohiba in a light colored wrapper. I was told Maduros are not popular there. Anyone else let down with Cubans?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Welcome aboard. There are plenty of NCs available that deffinetly rival Cubans or are better. I'm not even sure that Cuba makes a Maduro. There is deffinetly a difference bt, to each his own. How about going to the Introduction forum and tell us little about your self. We'd like to offer a welcome to you.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Cohiba just introduced the Maduro 5 line this summer. They are the first maduros to come off the Island. 5 year old wrappers, I believe.
As far as being overrated -- everybody has different tastes.
Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke!

TYLER

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the first Cohiba I bought was 100% plugged. I had never bought a plugged cigar before...after relighting and sucking like some fool for 10 minutes I threw it away.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I didn't think of the Fugazi factor. You may well have been smoking some serious dog rockets for $15 a pop.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I spent a week in Aruba last month and the Cigar Emporium in the Rennaisance Mall had lots to choose from.
This was probably your big mistake. You're best bet was to steer clear of the tourist places and buy only at an authorized La Casa del Habano dealer to ensure authenticity and quality. There is only one such place in Aruba and it's in the Royal Plaza Mall.

But even if you were assured of the "real deal", there is no guarantee with cigars. Every manufacturer will turn out some garbage from time to time. Plus your own tastebuds, the weather, your mood, what you had to eat + drink will all have an effect on the experience.

Cuban cigars are good - but they aren't the Holy Grail for everyone.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was probably your big mistake. You're best bet was to steer clear of the tourist places and buy only at an authorized La Casa del Habano dealer to ensure authenticity and quality. There is only one such place in Aruba and it's in the Royal Plaza Mall.

But even if you were assured of the "real deal", there is no guarantee with cigars. Every manufacturer will turn out some garbage from time to time. Plus your own tastebuds, the weather, your mood, what you had to eat + drink will all have an effect on the experience.

Cuban cigars are good - but they aren't the Holy Grail for everyone.
I asked the "cigar expert" at the Cigar Emporium if there were any cigar shops that had more maduros and she referred me to the one in the Royal Plaza Mall. It was walking distance...about 3 blocks. They had the same exact inventory at the exact same prices. I think they are affiliated somehow. I ran into some folks from Virginia that were lookin for maduros as well.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My collection is about 3 NC per each CC. I try to smoke them in that proportion, but it's not something I think too hard about. I enjoy my NC's very much, so I am in no way dissing them. It just seems that when many compare CC to NC, they leave price out of the equation. My box of RASS cost $150, I'd have a hard time finding an NC at $6 a stick that comes close.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I thank God for every CC that I have had has been primo quality and definitely rated higher than most NC's I have ever smoked.

I guess I will restrict my purchases to trusted sources.