What's new

Curmudgeon's Old Ale and Better Half Side by Side

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
This is my first ever beer review. Thought it would be good to try the two Founder's brews side by side. I used the Here goes.

Founders Curmudgeon’s Old Ale- 9.8% ABV
http://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/curmudgeon-old-ale/

OldAle.jpg

Appearance- Amber with a tint of brown. Minimal head (less than a finger), but thin lacing lined the glass throughout.
Smell- Sweet on the nose with a toasted sugar aroma.
Mouthful- Thick and substantial, flavor immediately emerges; brown sugar and malt, caramel. Minimal carbonation. Finish tastes woody, almost like a scotch. Taste lingers between sips.
Overall- Old ales are new to me. I quite enjoyed the Curmudgeon’s. I will buy again.

Founders Curmudgeon’s Better Half- 11.9%ABV

BetterHalf.jpg

http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2011/better-half-is-the-next-beer-in-our-backstage-series/
Appearance- Amber red. Poured to a one finger head. Head dissipated, but thin head remained throughout. Spots of lacing remain around the glass.
Smell- Vanilla, caramel, maple smell. Alcohol aroma comparable to bourbon, woody and sweet.
Mouthful- Little carbonation, heavy. Stronger alcohol taste than Curmudgeon’s. Maple, vanilla tasted in the front with a bourbon profile on the finish.
Overall- Very enjoyable but very limited. Wish it were in regular production.

Overall Overall- Both beers were excellent. However, both are limited in production. Founders might be my favorite brewery at the moment. If you can get your hands on either or both I highly recommend doing so.

PS- Both beers accompanied by an Illusion Singulare

Illusione.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good review! I find that often those high gravity beers are overpowered by the abv, or that the flavors are overrun by alcohol. Sounds like that didn't happen here :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good review. I've liked almost everything from Founders. One of my favorite breweries. I'd love to try the Better Half, so props for that find.