What's new

Custom Cigar-Band Lighters

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Howdy Again,

Recently I started making cigar-band covered disposable lighters to give away as little presents. (It's sort of a therapy for me and sure as hell beats making model ships in glass bottles) I've found that there's been a much greater interest in them than I ever thought there'd be, so I've decided to offer them to any BOTL who might be interested. There's a link in my SIG_FILE to some pictures of my work.

Here's how the deal works: I am not selling these or offering them for trade. Instead I'm giving them away. Anybody who receives lighters is free to send me whatever they think they're worth in cigars. If one were to feel the lighters worthless, feel free to not send me anything at all. If anybody would like a sample before sending me their cigar bands, just let me know and I'll send a few off to you.

One little difficulty is that I most likely do not have a stock of cigar bands of the brands you'd like to have made up, so you'd need to send me the bands before I can make the lighters. So far I've had two people who want a few dozen made up, and one guy who wants fifty.

I've done refillable lighters also; currently have a Zippo 6" torch covered with HdM Excalibur 1066 bands. Naturally I couldn't afford to just give those away though.

It doesn't take a real long time to create them but there's periods of drying time between steps in the process that does take some time. I make two basic styles: an all-band covered lighter which is coated with plastic and a cedar covered lighter which is far more delicate. The "varnished" model can go in the pocket with car keys without getting damaged while the cedar model probably wouldn't survive too much of that without getting destroyed.

So if anybody has any interest in this please let me know; either here or by email. And I do apologize in advance if anybody feels this shouldn't have been posted here.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I personally would not want to use those disposable lighters for my cigars as they use the wrong type of fuel. My understanding is will transfer the taste to the cigar. Love the pics tho and :welcome: to you again.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Honestly, that's beautiful work, especially with the cedar wraps. But like everyone else, I don't use that kind of lighter.

Have you considered wrapping a Zippo (nice and flat) which can hold a butane torch core?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Howdy Again,

Recently I started making cigar-band covered disposable lighters to give away as little presents. (It's sort of a therapy for me and sure as hell beats making model ships in glass bottles) I've found that there's been a much greater interest in them than I ever thought there'd be, so I've decided to offer them to any BOTL who might be interested. There's a link in my SIG_FILE to some pictures of my work.

Here's how the deal works: I am not selling these or offering them for trade. Instead I'm giving them away. Anybody who receives lighters is free to send me whatever they think they're worth in cigars. If one were to feel the lighters worthless, feel free to not send me anything at all. If anybody would like a sample before sending me their cigar bands, just let me know and I'll send a few off to you.

One little difficulty is that I most likely do not have a stock of cigar bands of the brands you'd like to have made up, so you'd need to send me the bands before I can make the lighters. So far I've had two people who want a few dozen made up, and one guy who wants fifty.

I've done refillable lighters also; currently have a Zippo 6" torch covered with HdM Excalibur 1066 bands. Naturally I couldn't afford to just give those away though.

It doesn't take a real long time to create them but there's periods of drying time between steps in the process that does take some time. I make two basic styles: an all-band covered lighter which is coated with plastic and a cedar covered lighter which is far more delicate. The "varnished" model can go in the pocket with car keys without getting damaged while the cedar model probably wouldn't survive too much of that without getting destroyed.

So if anybody has any interest in this please let me know; either here or by email. And I do apologize in advance if anybody feels this shouldn't have been posted here.

Thanks
pssssst....hey 'Lectric :grinFU:

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Honestly, that's beautiful work, especially with the cedar wraps. But like everyone else, I don't use that kind of lighter.

Have you considered wrapping a Zippo (nice and flat) which can hold a butane torch core?
Yeah, I've done two of those, and they work pretty well. I've not been able to cedar-wrap a Zippo though and gave up after several hours attempting it. Ended up with about forty thin cedar sheets covered with glue stuck all over me, the desk, the floor, etc.

Oddly enough, I don't notice any taste difference to sticks lit with the disposables vs. a butane lighter.

On a side note, next year my little office Christmas tree will be decorated with only cedar covered lighters...

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally would not want to use those disposable lighters for my cigars as they use the wrong type of fuel. My understanding is will transfer the taste to the cigar...
:scratchhe OK, I'm puzzled. My impression was that the disposables use butane, just like our torches. OK, not refined as many times as, say, Lava or Blazer or Vector fuel, but butane nonetheless. I have never heard, other than in this thread, that disposables are a no-no, taste- or smell-wise.

In any event, I occasionally use a disposable, e.g. when I am flying and don't want to deal with transporting or shipping a torch, or when my torch runs out. I have never noticed ANY kind of taste or smell from the disposable. In fact, I have a cigar buddy who always uses a regular Zippo with the original lighter fluid insert. I have to confess that I tried it once, and could not notice anything imparted to the cigar. Maybe my palate just isn't sophisticated enough... :sarcastic

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

I just posted a pic of a Zippo torch I banded for personal use. I gave away the several standard Zippos I banded before thinking to take pictures of them. They work out pretty well, but knowing how they are used and abused I'd think they would have a life-expectancy of only a few years before the bands got damaged. I've been looking into some industrial type sealants, but no clear winner yet in that area.

Thanks.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Somebody previously asked about Zippo lighters. I just added a pic of a standard Zippo I did for somebody at my work, if anyone wants a look. And I'll be adding more pictures of refillable lighters soon, as I've been getting requests for them.

Thanks.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
A disposable lighter is not gonna effect the taste of the cigar. You would be worse off using matches and not letting the sulphur burn off.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
arch, did you do a Ronson torch yet?
Not yet. <G> Five or six standard Zippo's, two Zippo six inch lighters and two no-name metal refillables. I've about come to the conclusion that the cedar wrap just won't work on a metal lighter, but a solid covering of bands works pretty well. I did talk to a guy who has had one of the standard Zippo's for at least a month and a half and the bands are still like new. He does take a bit of care with it though and doesn't throw it around.

architeuthis

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A disposable lighter is not gonna effect the taste of the cigar. You would be worse off using matches and not letting the sulphur burn off.
I've done that with matches once, and the taste of an RyJ maduro was appreciably altered for the whole smoke. Although I can't taste any difference using a disposable, I won't speak for others. Jokingly I will sometimes say that the *ONLY* correct way to light a good cigar is on the blazing hot exhaust manifold of a 1948 Allison Chalmers tractor...