What's new

Cut makes that big of a difference?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Have any of you found that using a different cut style on a stick makes the stick more or less enjoyable?

For my every day smokes, I have been using Flor de Oliva Corojo Robustos, and LYC Habano Toros. I let the LYCs rest for a while, seeing as they were only OK right off the truck. They got FAR better with a couple months on them. However, I had one a few days ago - cut with a double guillotine - tasted as usual. Had another one today - that I punched - and it was way more enjoyable.

Just random luck of a stick, or can the cut make that big of a difference?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i seem to enjoy things a little more with a v cut dunno if its just a mental thing though
Agreed - I seem to use my Xikar VX cutter on just about everything now - love how it helps me enjoy the taste of the smoke and not the little flecks of tobacco that end up in my mouth (like when I use my double guillotine).

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Agreed - I seem to use my Xikar VX cutter on just about everything now - love how it helps me enjoy the taste of the smoke and not the little flecks of tobacco that end up in my mouth (like when I use my double guillotine).
I've started rubbing my thumb across the head of the cigar after I cut it, I very rarely get any of the loose tobacco pieces anymore.

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I don't put much thought into cutting. Usually use a punch since it's more convienent and attached to my lighter. That said, I'll use my palio on torps and belicosos.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I recently switched to using a punch 99% of the time and like it. I think the difference for me is that I'm tasting wrapper more than filler.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I never noticed how the cute affected taste and always felt the cut (for me) depended on the ring gauge, cigars' vitolas, personal preference, etc. I'll use a punch if I know there is short or medium filler and smaller ring gauge cigars... traditional parejo types. I'll use a straight cut for a larger ring gauge... found that it helped a little with the draw in some cases. For a head in a pyramid, figurado, or belicoso vitolas, I always use a straight cut... for the most part.

My quick impression is that the taste is a stick-to-stick thing, not dependent on the cut. But I could be completely wrong. Interesting question?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Can't tell you one way or the other. I used to use strictly a double guillotine, but bought a punch last week. Since then I have had a few cigars that I have used the punch on and both have smoked great. Would they have smoked any less great had I cut them with the guillotine?? Not for sure, but I'd say probably not. I usually don't cut much off with the guillotine and as long as you're not cutting so much that you're ending up with a loose draw then you shouldn't be effecting the smoke that much. That said there are some smokes that probably do smoke better with a particular style of cutter. The one that comes to my mind is the LFD Chisel (and likely other chisels as well). It's designed to be punched and reports are that it smokes best when using this method.

Dan

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I stick with a double guilli for the fact that many cigars tend to tar up with smaller cuts or punches. Even Guillitine cutting a Padron Anny like the 44th and not cutting enough will tend to tar it up. I can always take a small amount off with my Palio and its just like a puch.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I stick with a double guilli for the fact that many cigars tend to tar up with smaller cuts or punches. Even Guillitine cutting a Padron Anny like the 44th and not cutting enough will tend to tar it up. I can always take a small amount off with my Palio and its just like a puch.
Love Palio... you get just the right amount of wrapper off without effecting the shoulders, leaving just enough of the exposed filler.

Also... good point. Should of stated that earlier.

I do agree with bugman. The punch on the top part of the LFD chisel is sweet.:chat:

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I also don't give a lot of thought to what I am using to cut. I usually use a double gulli. However, I always use a v-cut with a padron. I find they have a looser draw, not problematic, but find the v-cut gives the perfect amount of draw. But like I said on another thread, want to try using a punch again soon...

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Maybe you should keep a record of the style of cut you used on whatever brand once you find what you like. Everyone's gonna give you there opinion, and which cutter/cut is better. Have fun and experiment. Your tongue will guide you!

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
If you haven't already, I suggest that you experiment with your next torp to answer original question.
When I encounter a new torp, I cut only enough to get a reasonable draw at first. Sometimes this might be very little. I will shave a little more throughout the smoke; sometimes cutting it 3 or 4 more times. It is really amazing how much the same cigar can change just by changing the cut. Now I just dick-cut most torps I'm familiar with, but will still use increasing cut method sometimes even on cigars I (think I) know well.
I also like punching the chisels. But even on those, I like to play with them once in a while. Occassionally, I'll cut an LFD chiselito with Xikar; then while smoking, I'll rotate the chisel vertically and softly bite down to open the end appreciably and find that the cigar can change dramatically.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
On Torps or Belis I say yes, the angle will dictate flow which for me impacts taste.

I found that with Chisels if I double punch it provides a better overall experience as well.

Lastly, picked up a cheapie V-Cutter (waiting on group buy) for trying with PAM/PAN and found that I am liking the impact it has on the smoke direction.

Just my $ .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based just on draw, I prefer the straight cut for most cigars. If a given stick draws too loosely, I'll switch to a punch when I smoke that blend/vitola in the future.