What's new

Cut/Punch Differences?

How much of a diff. can you taste between a punch and a cut?

• A very distinct difference

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • somewhat different flavors are present

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • cant really tell a difference at all

Votes: 64 62.1%

• Total voters

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
As i am sitting here, smoking an Air Bender that i have punched...I'm thinking about the AB that i smoked last week; i cut that one. and i can honestly say that i taste a distinct difference in the flavors here. This is the first cigar that i have experienced this with to my knowledge. So, my question to you all is:

What cigars, if any, have you tasted a difference in when you cut or punch them? And how much of a difference can you taste?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I think someone said that punching a cigar makes it not so full-bodied. I dont know how true that is, but i myself cant tell as far as flavor goes.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Old school/purist here....I have been told by many I repsect in and out of the cigar biz that punching a cigar is not a good idea.

Why? Theorectically you can push the tobacco when punching, thereby impacting and sometimes destroying the burning performance of your cigar....Basically creating a plug.

So, I voted "A very distinct difference " based on the fact that you can ruin your cigar, and not ever get to taste it!!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
The only reason I occasionally punch a cigar (large ring cigar) is to "centralize" the flow of the smoke versus cutting the end off with a Palio.

( and I checked - cant really tell a difference at all)

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Never noticed a taste difference between punch and cut. I used to use punch exclusively. I've misplaced my punch though and have been using a regular 2-blade guillotine and been just as happy.

lighthousebill1

Working in a Smoke Shop
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually decide to punch when the ring size is 58 or larger . i v-cut torpedoes and belicosos, and straight cut everything else ...

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Only thing I notice is that it seems to get a little more bitter near the end with a punch. But other than that, no real difference.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard that a bullet cut can lead to more bitterness at the end due to a collection of nasty tobacco juice around the ring of the hole.

for my part, i use a Palio for most cigars and a bullet for very large ring cigars.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
i've heard that a bullet cut can lead to more bitterness at the end due to a collection of nasty tobacco juice around the ring of the hole.

for my part, i use a Palio for most cigars and a bullet for very large ring cigars.
i've had a few punches get soggy/gross on me... subtle difference between the two.

but i too am curious about the V cut on belicosos...

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Never noticed a taste difference between punch and cut. I used to use punch exclusively. I've misplaced my punch though and have been using a regular 2-blade guillotine and been just as happy.
Same here - I used to punch 'em all till the thing went missin! I'm still not to the point where I smoke many duplicates yet, so I can't really say, but I chose Can't really tell a difference.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Haven't really paid to much attention to that. Good question, I'm more concerned about getting the tobacco on my lips so I rarely even use my cutter. I just punch and go, but I do believe it changes the draw for sure.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I get burn issues sometimes when punching. When you punch, you only draw mostly from the inner leaves. Sometimes I get tunneling as a result or just a wacky burn, compared to when I clip.

As a result I only punch Padrons, and clip everything else. Damn padrons and their dinky little single caps. :skew:

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I use my Palio on just about everything. I have found that a punch does give me a harsh flavor profile once the cigar is about half way through, just my opinion.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can't really tell a difference, but I've heard that a punch cut will direct the smoke more directly onto the taste buds thus giving a more distinct flavor.

I usually go with my mood - or if I want to do something different than I've been doing. As far as I care, they all open the cigar up so I can smoke it!!!