What's new

Cutter

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was hoping to get a recommendation on a good working but reasonably priced cutter! The one I have I got for a buck and a convenient store years ago and has worked good for some time but now it is pinching and screwing up my cigars (see pic). I prefer to use a punch but obviously I can't use a punch on all cigars. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks in advance Brothers!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370400957.906066.jpg

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh I read a post about someone having a pair of cigar scissors, I am curious as to how those work or if they would be worth looking into.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Heath,

Spend a little money and buy a quality cutter that will last you many years. Personally, I only buy and use Palio cutters. I've been using my original one for 6 years and it still cuts as good as when I bought it. It is American made and uses only quality components. And has a lifetime warantee.

And they come in several different colors. Best $35-$50 spent. Just HMO,

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I have a number of cutters. Of all of them, my two favorites are the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter, and the Xikar Xi3.

The Cuban Crafters is inexpensive and carries a lifetime guarantee, for around $15. I've used mine for two years and it's been fantastic. This is the one I bring to parties, hangouts, and keep in my car.

My favorite cutter by far is the Xikar Xi3. I have the Carbon Fiber finish. Never, ever has a bad cut, and also carries a lifetime guarantee. Other finishes can be had on cigarbid or cigarmonster from time to time for $30-40.

I have a Palio as well, and my one complaint about that is that it feels just a little flimsy. It's made of some kind of plastic, so it just doesn't have the sturdiness in the hand that my Xikar and my Cuban Crafter cutters have. That being said, it does have nice sharp blades and also carries a lifetime guarantee.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heath,

Spend a little money and buy a quality cutter that will last you many years. Personally, I only buy and use Palio cutters. I've been using my original one for 6 years and it still cuts as good as when I bought it. It is American made and uses only quality components. And has a lifetime warantee.

And they come in several different colors. Best $35-$50 spent. Just HMO,
Ya I figured it was time to spend some money on a cutter but I wanted to see what your guys thought was a good brand to buy before I made my purchase. Thanks for helping a brother out.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a number of cutters. Of all of them, my two favorites are the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter, and the Xikar Xi3.

The Cuban Crafters is inexpensive and carries a lifetime guarantee, for around $15. I've used mine for two years and it's been fantastic. This is the one I bring to parties, hangouts, and keep in my car.

My favorite cutter by far is the Xikar Xi3. I have the Carbon Fiber finish. Never, ever has a bad cut, and also carries a lifetime guarantee. Other finishes can be had on cigarbid or cigarmonster from time to time for $30-40.

I have a Palio as well, and my one complaint about that is that it feels just a little flimsy. It's made of some kind of plastic, so it just doesn't have the sturdiness in the hand that my Xikar and my Cuban Crafter cutters have. That being said, it does have nice sharp blades and also carries a lifetime guarantee.
Before I posted this thread last night I was reading through some old threads trying to get some info, I did notice a lot of people talking about the Xikar cutters. I know what you mean about feeling cheap, even know the quality is there. I think I am going to hit up my locale Cigar shop and literally feel out the Palio & the Xikar and go from there. Thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received scissors for Christmas from my father-in-law, I have no idea what brand they are (not marked). Boy are they sharp, and I can skim the cap right off or cut a torpedo very easily and evenly.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The Cuban Crafters Perfecto Cutter has a great feeling of quality and value...for under $15. Solid cutter, sharp, and has a lifetime warranty. I had 2 dozen customized with our company name and hand them out to key cigar smoking customers. They are always well received.

4 years ago I was going to buy a Xikar but after trying several out in stores I just didn't like the feel. I also tried a Palio and they were sharp. Something about them that didn't cause me to pull the trigger. Not sure why.

I ran across this V-cutter at a B&M for $10. One try and I had to have it. I love it. I've seen them as high as $35 in stores, but rarely do I see them. My favorite. I also have a Wolf v-cutter but don't like it nearly as much.

My advice, put your eyes and hands on several different kinds and go with your gut feeling. If you are like a lot of us then you will end up with more than one "good" cutter.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hahaha I am sure once I get a good one and see how we'll it works I will want another one or two. But I agree with handing before you buy!

Thank you all for the great info.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have the xi2, the xikar 'v', the xikar scissors, and the Palio. I tend to use the Palio the most. It is a little plasticky in the hands, but the cut is awesome. The xi2 is nice too, but more of a pinch type cutter to me. Where as the Palio I feel I have more control. The v cutter is sweet, but lately I've been wanting more of a draw. Nice to have tho. The scissors are cool, ESP for a torpedo, but def take a bit to get used too. I say Palio.

-Jared

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Personally, I never like the feel of the teardrop-shaped cutters in my hand, but I'm a big fan of the Xikar X8 line.

They seem to maintain a smoother action than the Palios I've owned (the tracks in both my Palios started feeling gummy over time, and not for lack of cleaning - plastic on the tracks is pretty soft and seems to get kinda rubbery over time).

But at any rate, just like lighters, if you're gonna stick with the hobby, you definitely want to get something with a lifetime warranty - these things wear out quick!